Summit under-counter not getting cold and icing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit under-counter not getting cold and icing

I just installed a Summit under-counter kegerator (SBC490BISST) in my bar, but it doesn't seem to be able to get the temperature below 42 degrees. The cold plate also constantly ices over. I'm new to all of this and haven't been able to figure this out. I've made some modifications to it as advised by the forums that need to be pointed out.

1. Increased the hole on the top to 2.5" and installed a flexible plastic tube connecting the kegerator to the tower on top of the bar. The length is about 2 ft.

2. Added the tower cooling fan and tube as recommended. This included drilling a hole in the back for the fan's AC adapter.

I've put some of the window insulation tape around the inside of the kegerator around the tube and hole in the top and over the AC adapter hole in the back. The kegerator's door doesn't close that tight, but I really have no idea what I can do about that. I live in Texas where there is some humidity issues. What am I missing?

Do I need better sealant for the hole? Do I need to somehow wrap the connecting tube with something? What specifically? Is there a way to make the door seal more securely? The icing of the cold plate while not even getting the kegerator down to the recommended 38 degrees is concerning. This seems like it would only get worse if I can get it to actually get colder. On the plus side, what comes out of the faucet and the glass of water inside are the same temperature even after sitting overnight. It is quite foamy, however.

Thank you.
    Colin

I have the same unit, but no cooling problems as you are mentioning. I did have (what appears to me) as excessive ice build up, but I will tell you that I added a second fan besides the fan to cool the tower, and it helped tremendously with circulation and temps. My temp dial is now almost 3/4 all the way to the coldest setting and my air temp swings b/n 36* and 32.5*. Also, the second fan decreased the amount of ice build up on the cold plate. The power cord for my fan(s) is running out of the door, taped along the sidewall. I have no door seal issues...............

As for bar my integration/setup, I enlarged the hole already on the top of the unit, to make it 2.5" in diameter. I used a 2" piece of PVC to use as the "air shaft" and a 3/4" PVC from the tower cooling fan, through the 2.5" PVC, and up the tower......I wrapped the 2.5" PVC in the black/rubber/foam pipe insulation to make it snug through the hole in the top of the kegerator and the top of the bar. I only have 3" or so b/n my bar top and the kegerator.......it appears to be well insulated.....

I hope this helps. For pics and further info, search my screen name and it should come up with what I did......
    HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Comment

If the door doesn't seal well, then the unit will run constantly trying to get it down to set point. If it runs constantly the chill plate will ice over. The humidity helps it ice over as well. Get everything sealed up properly and go from there.

Comment

SteelersBar:

What specifically did you use to wrap your PVC? I haven't been able to find anything at Home Depot or Lowe's that looks like what you describe and I see in the MM how-to. I'll definitely try to install another fan for interior circulation, but can I really use the same AC adapter for both without hurting their performance?

bard:

The kegerator doesn't run constantly. It turns on every 17 min which seems in line with other posts I've read here for my unit. If the door isn't sealing like it's supposed to, what can I even do about that? I don't feel any cold air leaking, but paper closed in the door pulls out relatively easily all around.

Comment

I have the summit sbc490bi. I had lots of temp problems. I eventually got a temp controller, and that solved all the problems except frost on the cold plate. Since the temp probe is not behind the cold plate I just don't worry about it. You can move your temp sensor from behind the frost plate that would probably fix your cooling problem, but when i did that I could never get it adjusted to the right spot to get constant temps. In my opinion a temp controler is the way to go. You can adjust your temp from outside the kegerator so no constantly opening the door and less frost on the cold plate.

Comment

Originally posted by colinedd View Post
            SteelersBar:

What specifically did you use to wrap your PVC? I haven't been able to find anything at Home Depot or Lowe's that looks like what you describe and I see in the MM how-to. I'll definitely try to install another fan for interior circulation, but can I really use the same AC adapter for both without hurting their performance?

bard:

The kegerator doesn't run constantly. It turns on every 17 min which seems in line with other posts I've read here for my unit. If the door isn't sealing like it's supposed to, what can I even do about that? I don't feel any cold air leaking, but paper closed in the door pulls out relatively easily all around.

I used pipe insulation wrap like in this link: Thermwell at Lowe's: Self Adhesive Foil and Foam Pipe Insulation Tape

The only difference is that the one I used was more of a foam/rubber and was about 2" wide. This one is foil, but I am sure it will do the job.

As for how often the summit kicks on, it sounds like yours is running too often in my opinion. I am not sure what that means mechanically though, as I am not that mechanically inclined! I was worried that mine was running too much, so I timed it. Like clockwork it runs for 30 min. and then stays off for an hour and a half. So if it runs for 30 min. every 2 hrs, if my math is correct, it is only on for about 6 hrs./day............

Hook up your fans and you will hopefully notice a difference...cut off the adapter end of a cell phone charger and splice the bare wires to the bare wires of the fans. Depending on how many amps/volts your power adapter is, you should have no problem hooking up both fans. I am using a 9 volt power adapter from an old cell phone and it is easily powering 2 24v fans. The fans will only pull enough power to make them run........the fans do not need to be powerful. You only need enough to have a gentle flow........

Hope this helps, and again, search the forum. The people on here are great and will give you all the info./help you need to get your unit up and running!! They helped me and I just finished 2 kegs that were foam free from start to finish!!
            HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Comment

Summit broken out of the box

I purchased a Summit SBC 490B, and it didn't cool at all when I plugged it in. This is the first time I've ever bought anything that didn't work out of the box. Unfortunately I had it for a year and 2 weeks before I used it. I was remodeling (at a very slow pace). I haven't had a response from Summit yet. It's only been a couple of days, but it's still disappointing. I had a Whirlpool service man look at it and he recommended getting a new relay, and a wiring diagram from Summit. I can't seem to find any place that sells Summit parts. Anyone know where to look?

Comment

I hate to ask but are you sure you adjusted the thermostat on the back of the unit? I believe it comes out of the box in the off position.

Comment

Would you recommend the Summit or manufacturer? Just bought a Danby, but after reading all the problems, I'm getting ready to take back.

Thanks,
                  Graydawg

Comment

Working...
                  X