PC fan mod [PICS]..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC fan mod [PICS]..

Just finished setting up my new kegerator. Did the PC fans mod and was wondering if I did it correctly. Does it matter what direction it blows?

Also, when I pour I'm having foam problems. Now the keg has only been settling for a few hours. Could it still be shook up from the ride? It seems to flow out clear but turns to about half - 3/4 foam once it hits the glass.

I took a temp reading of the beer and it's about 42 right now. Got it set to 12 psi.
    Attached Files

What type of beer? Also, if your goal was to cool the tower the setup you have now will do next to nothing... you'll need to duct the cold air up into the tower as closer to the shank as possible.

A few hours is plenty for the keg to settle but it usually takes much longer to reach it's steady temperature.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

It's a keg of Miller Lite (I know, I know). I just wanted something cheap for my first keg as I knew there would be a lot of trial and error getting it right.

The purpose is just to circulate cold air in the kegerator.

Also, I lowered the PSI down to 5-6 and it seems to have solved my foaming issue. I now get about 1 inch head. I know the recommended PSI is around 12 psi, but I'm currently using the beer line that came with the kegerator which is only about 5 feet. So I figured 12psi was a little high for only 5 feet of line and was pushing it too fast.

Comment

A few things...

You'll need to get that beer temp down to at least 38* liquid temp.

Your stock beer line, although 5", is likely 1/4" ID.. you'll want to swap that for 3/16" ID to balance the system (very cheap and easy fix).

Your pressure is far too low right now, your beer will go flat pretty quick, especially at 6 PSI. You'll want to browse through this forum a little in order to find your Temp/PSIG equilibrium once you reach your desired temp. Then you'll want to adjust your system around that in order to get the perfect pour.
        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Things have gotten better.

My beer is now coming out at about 36-38 degrees. I raised the PSI to 10 and it seems to be okay. The first pour is usually about half foam but the ones that follow are perfect. I'm sure that has to do with the tower not being cooled.

I took a reading of the air temp inside and it was about 32 degrees. I thought this was too low (right?) so I unplugged the PC fan. Currently have the termo set on 2. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

And the line upgrade is definately coming after I finish this keg.

Comment

Working...
            X