Budweiser American Ale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budweiser American Ale

Keg is empty so I picked up a six pack of American Ale last night. What are your opinions of it? I was already a little tipsy, so I will have to do more "research" today.

SEAN
    I cool my tower with Beer.
    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

I think it's a good gateway beer to craft beers for the people who are normally the bud/bud light crowd. It's kind of plain for an Ale, but that's pretty much what I expected from AB. It's probably impossible to mass produce a good beer with raw material costs so high (hops). Here in St. Louis, there are a LOT of bars that ONLY serve AB products. So I normally end up drinking Budweiser. If this were a choice as well, I'd take it in a second. You can actually smell the malt and hops in this beer.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I'm on my third sixer of it, and while I like it, it seems to have done more in the way of opening my eyes to other, REAL beers, especially in the way of ales. I've had more ales and Oktoberfests in the last two weeks than I'd previously had in my whole life.

As limited as my keg selection is, I can only hope the A/B guys will actually get me some in a sixtel. It sure beats drinking the watered down crap they otherwise make.

...P.O.S. Avanti BD6000 stolen from Best Buy...
      ...external digital temp controller...
      ...circulation fan...
      ...tower fan...
      ...3" double tap tower...
      ...MM Premium Regulator, couplers, beer lines, taps, fittings
      ...a lot of sweat and beer ...

"I will not tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at death"

Comment

I just got a keg of Zeigenbock, which is made by AB. It isn't great, but it isn't bad, and it's cheap ($60 for 16 gallons). I don't know about availability, but I suspect it's mostly available in Texas to compete with Shiner Bock-which is the most available beer that isn't AB/Miller/Coors.

Comment

G&M, Did you just turn 21?

I've had more ales and Oktoberfests in the last two weeks than I'd previously had in my whole life.

SEAN

Comment

Wish I did Sean....more like 36. And I'm feeling every year

Early years....Miller High Life, Miller Lite, and then MGD. Mid/late 20's to early 30's....Miller Lite, Bud Light, and when "she" started wearing the witches clothing, mostly bourbon and vodka. Last few years, Budweiser, until a friend turned me on to Blue Moon. Accidentally stumbled onto some of Boulevard's unfiltered wheat and was impressed. Kept Bud Select in the kegerator to please some friends and keep me from looking like a blimp when I was drinking 12 a night, lol. Now I'm running Blue Moon and trying to swing a better deal on some Boulevard or Schlafly products.

Some of the recents I mention include Boulevard's "47" and Pale Ale. Been enjoying Schlafly's Pale Ale, unfiltered wheat, and Oktoberfest. Also enjoyed some Goose Island stuff that was pretty good.

Still blows that even for bottled stuff, to get anything besides the offerings from the big three (Anheuser Busch, Miller, Coors) I have to drive close to an hour

Back to the American Ale - if I keep any stock of it I think it might lead some of my Bud Light friends to open their horizons a bit, which in turn might make them less hesitant to get into my good stuff. That could be bad.

...P.O.S. Avanti BD6000 stolen from Best Buy...
            ...external digital temp controller...
            ...circulation fan...
            ...tower fan...
            ...3" double tap tower...
            ...MM Premium Regulator, couplers, beer lines, taps, fittings
            ...a lot of sweat and beer ...

"I will not tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at death"

Comment

Tastes HORRIBLE..like they just mixed a bunch of crap together and called it American Ale.

Comment

I had a sip of it at the bar the other night. Thought it was FOUL.

At least it reminded me why I don't drink anything from the big three.....

Comment

What?

Ford, GM & Chrysler?
                  I had to replace the keg Monday, and picked up another six pack for between kegs, so I guess its okay with me.
                  SEAN
                  Last edited by bonefish; 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I got a sixth keg on tap now. Not bad. Better than Shock Top, and I like it more that Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Ive become a Bud drinker here in Florida, its hot here and they go down like water. When it's 100 degrees and a 100% humidity Moose Drool from Big Sky dosent go down so easy. Untill a liquor store opened up here about a year ago with all the micros I grew up drinking in the North West, (Wyoming, Montana, Oregon) I only drank Bud and Bud Lite in Florida because its all I could find in the bars or liquor store. Its funny I remember 5 years ago when the distributures brought Yengling down on tap at the bars and everyone went ape sht. Before I moved to Florida I would never drink Bud unless it was a 40 oz and I was broke, then I'd go for OE or Mikey's before a Bud. Bud American Ale is not bad for what it is.......a two week keg on my kegerator. Chugalug brothers!

Comment

I'm 22 and I have an (empty) bottle collection of around 100 different beers so don't think it's an age thing. I guess I'm lucky my aunt took me to England (McEwans 80 please) when I was 18. My eyes were opened.

Comment

It's not bad. Not great, but it's certainly drinkable. I think there's a huge predisposition to dislike anything that AB puts out... but for what it is and for the price I'll concede that Bud put out a decent product.

I think they made it in an attempt to get back some of the beer market that has gravitated towards the local breweries, but like cubby said... it's equally likely that it will drive their regular bud drinkers towards the microbrews.
                        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by bonefish View Post
                          Ford, GM & Chrysler?
                          The other big three. Miller, Coors, AB.

Comment

Originally posted by JBUNGIE View Post
                            Tastes HORRIBLE..like they just mixed a bunch of crap together and called it American Ale.
                            Yes, Horrible is correct. AB still can't make a decent beer.

Comment

Kegerator Settings?

What are you guys using for temperature and pressure settings for American Ale in kegerators? I'm going to have a 1/6 barrel for this weekend and want to get it set up right.

Comment

Working...
                              X