Keeping the beer line cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the beer line cool

I am about to put my Avanti Kegerator into a bar cabinet and will have aprox 5 inches of beer line to insulate between the top of the fridge and the inside top of the cabinet. I am thinking some form of insulated, flexible tubing to use for this. Aside from a glycol set up, any recommendations on how to keep it cool?

Great site by the way... this is my first post on it.
    Thx!

Micromatic Sells Flexible Tubeing For Air Shafts
    You Will Also Need A Blower To Keep The Beer Lines The Same Temp As The Keg Or Else You Will Just Pour Foam
    Do It Right The First Time Or Else You Will Regret It
    Pm Me If You Need Info On Exactly What To Do

Comment

Is the blower you mention a small fan and if so, where would you recommend getting one? Just so I am clear, the tap tower currently is not cooled but connects into the kegerator. If I run hose between the kegerator and the tap tower AND keep it sealed, how is the application different than what I have now?

Thanks

Comment

Even as it sits right now you'd want to add tower cooling. Moving the tower further away makes it a necessity. You'll need a decently powerful blower over any significant distance like that, they can be picked up at most decent electronic supply houses or I know MM sells one here.
        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

You mention the unit is an Avanti....is it new, or new to you, and this your first rodeo? I ask because the Avanti is known for problems, and without some upgrades, keeping beer cool in the tower, no matter where it is, may indeed be the least of your problems.

...P.O.S. Avanti BD6000 stolen from Best Buy...
          ...external digital temp controller...
          ...circulation fan...
          ...tower fan...
          ...3" double tap tower...
          ...MM Premium Regulator, couplers, beer lines, taps, fittings
          ...a lot of sweat and beer ...

"I will not tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at death"

Comment

Thanks Golf, Jumper....

The Avanti is new to me and no real problems so far but it doesnt look especially well made... 50% off at Bevmo, that might explain something.
            I will look into a small fan first. As for extending the distance of the beer lines, we are only talking 3-4 inches so I am not terribly worried... yet.

I had this temporary fix idea of placing a cold pack in the tower... might work for the length of a party??

Comment

Some of the things to look for/prepare for in the Avanti, based on my experience:

1) Faucet is crap. Well, maybe not the faucet, but if you want to change to a different (branded) tap handle, you can't. I guess you could fab a thread adapter if you're savvy enough. I am, but after hearing about all the other problems, I chunked the faucet and got one from MM. While I was at it I got a new shank too. Figured if I was going to do it right, may as well do it ALL right.

2) Couldn't get a full keg (1/2 barrel) to fit. Well, it fit, but not if you like keeping the door shut. Ended up having to raise the metal plate in the bottom 3/4", and then hold my mouth just right while shutting the door. Went thru the same crap everytime I switched kegs. Running a sixtel now, setup for two, but for now I'm put out with squeezing big kegs in the unit.

2) Temp range of 10 degrees, sometimes more, WITHOUT touching the temp control. Went from blowing warm beer to oozing frozen beer in a few hours, again, untouched. Added an external temp controller (Brewers Edge, Johnson Controls) and it cools perfect now.

And since you're gonna need to lengthen the beer line to accomodate the space, may as well go with about 8', maybe more, and trim back as needed. It's a work in progress, but if you got the unit cheap enough (like I did) it's worth it.

For the purpose of a party only, you can probably get by with variances in temps and such, but if you're gonna want it right, for the long haul, get ready to start tinkering.
              Last edited by golfnmotorcycles; 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM.

...circulation fan...
              ...tower fan...

Comment

Thanks for the warnings. Fortunately I dont want to wrestle with the large kegs so the 5 of 7.75 gallon are fine for now. I have a thermometer in there and the temp has been consistent (so far).
                Your comment about needing to lengthen the beer line, why do I need to lengthen it? The tap is only being raised 3-4 inches.

The plan is eventually for a new faucet and probably new tower... all in good time.

Comment

You may not NEED to lengthen the line, but I did. I think mine came with about 4', and the beer was coming out a little fast.

Seems most folks report having 6-8' of line for a "best result" flow rate.

...circulation fan...
                  ...tower fan...

Comment

^ Right... your beer line length will determine your flow rate. If you apply the proper pressure with the stock line typically the beer comes out at supersonic speeds. I've got 7 feet on mine right now... longer than I need but it keeps the foam down when rookies are over pouring beers.
                    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Beer line

Are you running the 5 inch line in between the refrigeration unit and the beer tower within the cabinet? If so I would suggest that you use a section of PVC pipe that is slighly smaller than the diameter or your tower. Wrap it in a piece pipe insulation made out of a black rubber type material. Buy the thickest insulation you can find!
                      You should also install a blower to send cold air up the tower from the base of your refrigeration unit (Micromatic sells them). If you use the blower you can mount it at the base of your refrigeration unit into the section of PVC pipe with a flexible rubber mounting boot. It is important to remember that you will need to return the air from the top of the tower so you must install a return line of at least 1" diameter (use flexible line) from the top of tower back into the refrigeration unit!

Good luck!

Comment

On such a short run you won't need an actual return line. Just run the cooling line to near the top of the tower right under the shank and pressure differential will take care of the return.

Like springbrook said, put the blower down as low as possible where the cold air hangs out in the unit.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks all.

I want to give an update on the 'non cooled beerline' and let people know the news isnt always bad. There is aprox 3 inches between the top of the fridge and inside of the cabinet. I ran the hose through some thick tubing and also wrapped foam around it. Kept the pressure around 9lbs and temp at about 38degrees. The first couple pours were a bit foamy but after the lines cooled down, the rest of the evening (my wife's 40th bday party), the pours were great and the beer (Kirin) tasted great. I still would like to insulate better and put a cooler in but possibly because its such a short distance it isnt critical. I had also just cleaned the lines, coupler and faucet which I know helped. Foam can be beat!

Comment

Working...
                          X