Newbie help! (that has read FAQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help! (that has read FAQ)

Please excuse my ignorance.. I just bought a used Kegorator that I have cleaned up for my basement. (manufactured unit, not homemade)

I cleaned all the components, bought a new dual gauge regulator (set and 12 psi) and Co2 line (from MicroMatic!). Checked the temp (37.4) and put in a keg (bud light).

A couple of question:

I’m getting a small amount of foam where the tap and keg meet (not a good seal)
    - should I buy a new taper or is there someing I could apply to the rubber of the tap to help?

- I figure it was leaking CO2 so I untapped it and shut off the CO2

When it was pouring it seemed to have excessive foam. It looked like it was coming out to fast. I don’t think my line is the recommended length . maybe 3-4 feet?

I would like to replace it but the adapter that runs in to the spout is different from what I’ve seen for sale, it like a brake line fitting. (The hose even says Goodyear. LOL)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to start enjoying the “fruits of my labor” ASAP!
    Last edited by Blackhills; 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM.

Any idea what brand the unit is out of curiosity. It sounds like the previous owner did some modifying.

I'd start with replacing the shank and beer line for sure. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a rubber line with "Goodyear" on it isn't FDA approved for food or beverage, could be wrong though. Micromatic sells the vinyl line by the foot cheap.

Sounds like you have a gas leak or a bad seal in the coupler... you can try to replace the seals or just replace the coupler itself. I'm not sure how much you're wanting to spend on getting it running right so the seals could be worth a try.

I've found that bud light can be a tempermental beer when it comes to temp and pressure so be sure to take the extra time and effort to dial those in once you've addressed the probable gas leak. It'll make the effort of even having a tap fridge much more enjoyable.

Are you in the Rapid City area? Just asking because of your screen name.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Jumper,

Thanks for that complete response. I don’t remember what brand it is. I know I read it on the back of the unit but I don’t recall. I’m going to make a order with MicroMatic this weekend for a new coupler(?), lines and fittings. If I only need 3 ft should I get 4?

Yes I live in Rapid City! You must be familiar with the area.

I will try to post a pic of my unit. ( I cleaned up and painted the outside with Chalkboard paint.)

Comment

Oh yes, very familiar. I was stationed at Ellsworth for a few years, loved the area. Is the Firehouse Brewing Co. still in business?

When you order your beer line make sure its at least 5 ft. of 3/16" ID line, maybe even 6 or 7 since your altitude is a little higher. If you could snap a pic of inside the tower that would help out quite a bit to see what kind of fitting was attached to the shank.
        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Firehouse is alive and well! (still serving GEAT beer)

I will try to snap a shot inside the tower and get it posted.

thanks for the tip on the exta line. im sure it wouldn't hurt.

I did notice that the tower is not nearly as cold as the fridge. How do people cool the tower?

Comment

Sorry for the poor quality photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhills View Post
              Firehouse is alive and well! (still serving GEAT beer)

I will try to snap a shot inside the tower and get it posted.

thanks for the tip on the exta line. im sure it wouldn't hurt.

I did notice that the tower is not nearly as cold as the fridge. How do people cool the tower?

Hi!

There are numerous threads on how to cool a tower, just do a search and you'll get information overload.

In a nutshell, you install a a small blower, attach a hose and run it into the tower. Here's a few pics of my blower install. It's an old Kenmore unit that I rehabbed.

Here's the blower:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the blower and hose up into the tower:

[IMG][/IMG]

The last picture is deceptive, as the hose isn't exactly round, it's kind of flat on both sides, I had to move it around to permit airflow back down into the box, which is important.

Hope this helps!
              Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Order plenty of line, it is cheap and if you get too long, you can always trim it back. As far as the connections being different, just cut the old crimp on connections off and reinstall with stainless worm gear clamps.

The refurb you did on the unit looks good.
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I thought....

...In your pictures, you had a champagne glass of beer on your kegorater. Now that I've been drinking, I see its a lamp.
                  Sean
                  I cool my tower with Beer.
                  http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Working...
                  X