Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star San question.

A coworker of mine is a home-brewer.

He told me that he keeps a spray bottle full of Star San sanitizer and sprays his faucet with it after the last beer of the day. It foams up and penetrates all the nooks and crannies and helps keep yeast, mold, build-up, etc. out of the faucet between cleanings. (He cleans between each keg)

I've always just dipped some hot water in a small glass, and "dipped" the faucet, but spraying it with the Star San sounds like a much better idea.

Any thoughts on this and does the Star San hurt the O-rings in the faucet?
    Hail to the Redskins!

Most seals in the system are impervious to the chemicals used for maintaining draught systems. Although if this is a heavy chlorine based sanitizer, this could break down some seals. Time will tell.

The issue with the sanitizer is the impact it will have on the first beers that you consume. You may detect an off taste.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

The Star San shouldn't hurt anything. But it isn't really neccessary either IMHO. I'd think it would make of a mess more than anything.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
        The Star San shouldn't hurt anything. But it isn't really neccessary either IMHO. I'd think it would make of a mess more than anything.
        Thanks!!!!!!
        Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
          Most seals in the system are impervious to the chemicals used for maintaining draught systems. Although if this is a heavy chlorine based sanitizer, this could break down some seals. Time will tell.

The issue with the sanitizer is the impact it will have on the first beers that you consume. You may detect an off taste.
          Thanks! (I couldn't get the multi quote feature to work)

Star San is not supposed to impart any flavor at all. A lot of the home-brewers I know use it for sanitizing their equipment. It's a no-rinse product that is supposedy tasteless.

In any case, psychodad is probably right and it's probably not worth the mess.

Thanks, again!
          Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

An independent line cleaning company in Colorado has sold 100's of the stainless Micro Matic faucets to their retail accounts extolling the benefit of the faucet staying cleaner longer. They gave the retailer the option of returning the faucet with full refund if it did not perform as claimed. Not one faucet was returned. The line cleaners liked it as well as it was much easier to clean.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Ditto on that. I bought one and have been very happy with it. No more stuck handle and really no build up around the seal when it comes time to clean it. The chromed brass faucet that came with the unit was always getting stuck if I didn't use it at least every day.
              Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

That addresses my issue. I'm ordering SS right now. Thanks Scott.

Comment

Working...
                X