Edgestar Kegerator Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgestar Kegerator Problems

First I would like start by saying hello.

I have recently bought an Edgestar kegerator and have been able to get nothing but foam. I have lurked around an have read many interesting threads regarding wild beer. I think the problem is the temperature of the kegerator. It only gets down to 40 degrees. I have bought a Brewer's Edge Digital Beer Temperature Controller II, but have a few questions regarding the way it works. The main question is, will it override the temp controls of the kegerator?

The next question I have is, how do I go about cooling the tower? I have a the tower mounted to a bar top just above the kegerator.

Just to point out, the psi is at 12 and I have a half keg of Miller Light.

Thanks for your help in advance.

How are you insulating the beer line between the fridge and the bar? The typical way to cool a tower on a short run is to force air through it.

Your new controller will have sole control over the compressor. I'm not sure if they tell you to just turn the fridge to max or disable the thermostat (relatively easy).
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by drl1211 View Post
      First I would like start by saying hello.

I have recently bought an Edgestar kegerator and have been able to get nothing but foam. I have lurked around an have read many interesting threads regarding wild beer. I think the problem is the temperature of the kegerator. It only gets down to 40 degrees. I have bought a Brewer's Edge Digital Beer Temperature Controller II, but have a few questions regarding the way it works. The main question is, will it override the temp controls of the kegerator?

Thanks for your help in advance.
      Originally posted by jumper
      Your new controller will have sole control over the compressor. I'm not sure if they tell you to just turn the fridge to max or disable the thermostat (relatively easy).
      What jumper said.

If you have not jumpered the original thermostat the new control will not necesarily override things.

Think of the thermostats as light switches. If you have two switches controlling the same light either one could switch things off. If one t-stat turns off, it cuts the power to the compressor.

You would need to disable the original t-stat by wireing the two leads together to get your new t-stat to work as you would like it.

Later, THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

I took apart the temp control box an it looks pretty easy to disable. When I get the new control in the mail I will disable the one in the kegerator. I also moved the thermostat probe to the front of the kegerator. It now freezes water, so i must be getting close. I still have foamy beer, so that leads me to believe that it is do to the tower being too warm. I have about (not sure what it came with) a 5' beer line. the 1' long section that is out of the kegerator is wrapped in foam insulation.

I would like to install a fan, but I have no idea how to do that.

Comment

update- I am now pouring great beer! I let the kegerator sit over the weekend at 35 degrees. It now pours beer like a champ. I can't wait to to get the digital temp controller.

Comment

I moved my temp sensor from the back to the front and now the compressor just keeps running and cooling. I am sitting at 36 degrees F right now. How much lower will it go with this Edgestar? What is the coldest you have seen?

Comment

Originally posted by verncat05 View Post
              I moved my temp sensor from the back to the front and now the compressor just keeps running and cooling. I am sitting at 36 degrees F right now. How much lower will it go with this Edgestar? What is the coldest you have seen?
              Once again, a thermostat is nothing more than a switch. It depends on the particular 'switch' where it will turn on & off. Some are more accurate than others. You will have to experiment a little to decide what works for you.
              My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
              "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
              -Dave Barry-
              "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
              Strong beer is the milk of the old."
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

I just can't get the thermostat on this Edgestar to work properly. I have it turned to the almost warmest setting and the fridge is still reading 33-34 degrees F. If I turn the thermostat up at all it freezes the tap line. So, I ordered the Brewer's Edge Digital Beer Temperature Controller II the drl1211 referenced in his first post. Is there any tricks to it or is it simply crank the thermostat to it's coldest and run the probe into the fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by verncat05 View Post
                  Is the temp sensor the white cable? Is it connected to anything, or did you just pull on it until it came out?

Also, if I were to disable the t-stat, would I do this by connecting the green and blue wires together?

thanks

Comment

edgestart temp probs

i ran into the same issues, if i moved the temp sensor to the front it would freeze the beer in the lines, even on the warmest setting. i called edgestar and the emailed me a step by step process to adjusting the thermostat. i also put the temp lead back where it was on the chill plate. am getting a mop bucket full of water to stay at 38 degrees. just call em up and tell them what your problem is, they should be able to help, if not let me know and ill call them back to get the email. i deleted it.

Comment

I had the same problem -- this is the e-mail I got from Edgestar. Although, it still didn't get below 41F, so they sent me a new thermostat. I just put it in a couple of hours ago and got the air temp to 37F. I know have a bucket of water in there to test the liquid temp (before I order another keg of Sierra Nevada).

Also, the setting of 12lbs is OK, but when you first tap the keg -- do it at 5lbs -- draw off some and up it 1 lb at a time until you get the right mix/head. I saw this in a draft beer quality document sent by sierra nevada -- very helpful.

CC

Here is the Edgestar email and instructions for adjusting the thermostat:

Hello,

Some Kegerators are ******* preset to reach the low to mid 40s at the highest cooling setting. The machine can reach lower temperatures by adjusting the thermostat set screw. Below you will find the instructions to adjust your keg cooler.

Before adjusting the unit, please verify the following items:
                      1. Installation of the unit is freestanding, not built-in.
                      2. Your circuit is able to provide sufficient amperage.
                      3. The unit is not being used outdoors or in a garage where it is too hot or too cold. Best room temperature is low to mid 70s.
                      4. You have let the unit acclimate for at least 24 hours.

Please note that most Kegerators will NOT need to be adjusted.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

EdgeStar Service and Support
                      service@edgestar.com
                      866-319-5473

The instructions below came with very helpful photos - they didn't paste into this email, so you may want to write to service@edgestar.com to get them to email you the exact email with pics..
                      ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
                      KC2000, BRL2000BL, BRL2000SS: How to set temperature range to a cooler setting.

Unplug the unit from power

1. Unfasten screws indicated below.

2. Carefully pry the knob off.

3. Slide the dial out of the box.

4. Unfasten the screws with a Phillips screw driver.

5. The thermostat adjustment screw can be modified by, FIRST turning the screw clockwise until it is “finger snug” - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN.
                      THEN turn it counterclockwise 2 total turns.

6. Reassemble. Test for 24 hours. If the temperature is too cold, repeat steps 1-5 and in step 5 turn the screw counterclockwise three total turns instead of two.

Comment

Working...
                      X