This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KB,
    Thanks for the quick response. I've double-checked the IDs. The gas line appears to be 3/16" and the pin lock connector is 1/4". That said, I set the line in boiling water for 20 min or so and it was still pretty rigid after all that time. I was not able to get it over the pin lock connector.

I'd heard about NE regulators being suspect, so upgrading is definitely in the plans (sooner or later). I'm intrigued by the splicing idea and will probably research that next. Any recommendations/instructions on the best way to do that is appreciated.

Regarding the 3rd option, I think I'm following you. You're saying to do that in order to replace the existing line with a larger line, but still using the existing regulator connector, correct? Not sure I understand why I'd only get one shot. Is that because there's a risk of damaging the connector with the saw, making it incapable of keeping an airtight seal?

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

vtmflynn,
      Honestly, getting a new regulator will solve all your problems, the next solution is a splice, MM sells the following (just highlight and right click and open link)
      http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/fittings-pid-SSS-BE.html
      This a 1 step change, I have a feeling since the line won't fit over the barb on pin lock is a 5/16 bard (which is norm), so basically you have a 2 step change, so you have to use the 3/16 end on the old gas line, then use 1/4 line on the other end, you probably have to stick in boiling water to fit over pin lock connector but it should work. There is a 2 step change splice, but unless you know for certain the barb size it would be safer to get the 1/4 gas line and the 1 step splice.
      Yeah, any damage to any gas part can cause problems, just like any addition or change in line can cause problems, I have always advocated the KISS principle, simplest and least problematic is buy a new regulator. With changing out the connector, you might have same problem with size, when off, I would use 1/4 line, it might be large for 3/16 barb, just make sure you have a clamp over barb, again KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), I'd go with the simplest solution.
      KB
      Last edited by KillianBoy; 03-01-2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks KB! Just to follow up, I went ahead and did the KISS approach. More upfront money than I was hoping for at this point, but seemed the best solution, over the splicing or cutting options. The NE kegerator was a gift, so these are good problems to have. Guess I'll have to wait another few days to keg my bourbon porter. Thanks again for the detailed and quick responses.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. The gas line that comes with the NE is really, really small. It is smaller than any other tubing I have seen used with beer products. I believe that the regulator outlet is 1/4", so I am thinking about buying a 1/4" swivel nut connector to use regular sized tubing to my ball keg gas in connection. I have already ordered the swivel nut and will let you know if it works out.

Comment

Sorry, thread closed due to excessive spamming.
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
            X