Bev Air BM23 Date Code or Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bev Air BM23 Date Code or Age

Does anyone know how to tell the age of a BM23? Mine has a serial number of 4053I82.

Thanks,
    Jon

If I remember right the serial numbers for Beverage Air units are sequential. An easier way to tell the age of the unit might be to look at the data sticker on the compressor, provided the compressor is original.

If it is a Tecumseh compressor the date code breaks down the date of compressor manufacture like this...

First letter is the Month
    The next two numbers: Day of the Month
    The next two numbers: year
    This one, H2995, would be Aug. 29, 1995

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Hi,
      Newbie to kegerators here and I just picked up a BM23 that was supposed to be 10 years old. I'm thinking it is lot older than that and although it cools fine I paid a price base on what I was told regarding the age.

I can't find a serial number on mine. There is a red manufacturers label adhered to the interior but only lists the model number, volts/hertz, and refrigerant (R12). The compressor on mine doesn't have a sticker like the Tecumseh one shown above. There is a metal plate attached to the front of the compresser with embossed characters. The top line reads AE 160AT-117. Below this is another 3 lines with sets of various characters. I can't discern what is a mfg date. The only thing that is obvious is one of the sets states Made in the USA.

Does anyone have a rough idea of what age this thing might be? If not, what was the last year that R12 was used?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Your unit is definitely older than 10 years if it is using R12. R12 was phased out in 1994. They stopped using the metal data plates around the same time. The date code/serial number was roughly the same as the sticker. You should find it on the bottom line of the plate.

THE ICEMAN
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks Iceman.
          The attached pic is exactly how all of the codes appear on the tag. I'm not able to get a clear photo of it.
          The symbol to the left of the USA on the bottom line appears to me to be an American Standard logo. Did American Standard make the compressors at one time or maybe a replacement unit?

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Those are Tecumseh numbers. Compressor model number AE3417A & that is an old number, the new number would be AEA3417AXA. It looks from the date code that you have a 1980 vintage compressor.

THE ICEMAN
            -Dave Barry-
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Bm23

I too just acquired a Beverage Air BM23 that the previous owner thought was around 10 years old. Well, after looking at the door, the serial number was stamped right next to the nameplate. The first two numbers were 72. The product tag inside the door toward the upper front left says R12 refrigerant, which is enough of a clue to rule out one option Bev-Air discussed with me. Based on the serial number, they told me either 1970's or 2004. Safe to say, I'll go with 1972.

Comment

Well I'm stuck with mine. Not only did the seller say it was about 10 years old he also said it held temp. It does get cold (36) but won't kick on again until it gets to 54. I have a thermostat on order....
                I guess I will just look at it as another project.

Comment

vintage bm23's

Let me know if the temperature control takes care of it. Also, how difficult it was to replace. I have a power cord that needs attention. After brief exploration of the route the cord takes I called Beverage Air for the wiring schematic. As far as temperature, mine holds 35-36 on setting #5.

You'll definately want to have it up by week one against the Bungals if you don't have tickets. I just can't see hauling it down to the Muni lot.

Comment

The temp control was easy. Four screws and unplug a few wires and that's it. Piece of cake. Temp is now holding at 34-38 at #7. I'm going to replace the door gasket which is in rough shape and that might tighten the temp range a bit.

Getting excited now. Disassembled and cleaned the tap and faucet, replaced the lines and now I just need to find some CO2 and beer.

Getting there!

Comment

Working...
                    X