Haier - Now it won't stop running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haier - Now it won't stop running

In Sept 2008,, my wife gave me Haier Kegerator and I spent a year and 5 service calls trying to get temp right. It would not get below 42 even after 2 thermostats and a screw adjustment a tech did around Sept 2009 and it has always seemed to run continuously.
    In about November, the unit goes way too cold, freezes up everything including beer, so last week I removed keg and defrosted unit and left keg out. Then I replaced thermostat (#3) and now, no matter where I turn the thermostat, it still continulally runs and temp inside is down to about 15.
    I am at a loss as to what to try next. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this unit - after 3 thermostats - does not appear to ever enter defrost cycle and seems to run continuously getting the temp down so low? Does not having a keg (empty or not) inside affect this? Could the balck green white wires to thermostat have been mixed up when tech installed new thermostat?Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

The above link might be helpful. It shows a pic of the thermostat...where you can sort of see which side the wires go on.

The kegerator will run differently with no keg in it, but should probably still shut off at some point.

i had similar problem as you. just so you know, i made all of my adjustments with the keg in the kegerator. i think this will make a difference in getting it dialed in. also, i am no expert...just a novice that had the same experience and figured a way to work it out.

First thing...don't panic. It is likely the thermostat. In my opinion, these thermostats on the Haiers/Kenmores blow. The pics show one adjustment screw. There are really 2...both on top...one is sunken in a bit...the other is shown in the picture.

now...use the info on the above link to install the two fans. this will keep your beer from getting foamy...and keep a consistent temp in your kegerator...and keep the frost off of your cooling plate.

next...put the keg back in. i'm not an expert...but if you leave the keg uncooled for too long, it may ruin. i don't know much about that...but, either way, put the keg back in, because you will need something to cool to get the adjustments dialed in.

put a thermometer in the bottom of the kegerator that you can quickly see when you open the door. turn unit on. let it start cooling. keep an eye on the thermostat...every couple of hours or so. as it gets around 30 degrees...that is a good time to start adjusting the thermostat.

now you are ready to fine-tune your thermostat. warning...this will take a couple of days...and will take some experimentation with the adjustment screws. remove the thermostat from the back of unit. pull off knob. remove white cover. if you touch the wires on bottom to a screwdriver or other metal (or your finger) you will get shocked. there is a little lever that moves back and forth on the top of thermostat. you can sort of track that to monitor what you're doing. the lever moves one way as it approaches turning on...and moves the other way as it approaches turning off. you may have to move both screws. start with 1/4 to 1/2 turns. you want to turn the screw(s) so that the lever moves toward off (i can't remember which direction that is...might have to experiment). after each adjustment, you have to let it run for a day or so before checking temps. one thing you can consider...i'm pretty sure that mine runs about 1/2 as long as it is off...so, that might be something to shoot for at first. i spent several days over christmas vacation making adjustments until i got it right. i just left the thermostat hanging from it's wires until i felt i had it adjusted well...then put back together.

you will also need a digital thermometer with a probe (i got mine at wal mart). use this to take the temp of your beer. you will need to calibrate the thermometer. pour a glass of mostly ice water. put the thermometer in it. after a few minutes, it should read 32 degrees. if not then you have to mathmatically adjust each time you use. mine is 2 degrees wrong...i have to add 2 degrees to whatever i measure. pour a beer...chug it. pour another beer measure temp. try to get around 36-38 degrees.

you could also just replace your thermostat with a univeral digital unit. there are many threads about replacing the thermostat on this forum. Micromatic sells them.

Comment

Thank you SO much for all the advice... Am gonna hop right on this as I have a few days before I leave town again. Since my original post, I put the keg back in (it's got about a gallon or 2 left in it that I'm sure is bad) but right now I'm just trying to get this damned temp thing working.
      I do agree that having the keg in the unit is the proper way to go and will post how things are going, but it may be a few days as I know it takes some time to get these things settled in which I want to do before starting on the other mods. Thanks again.

Comment

Update

OK - I put the keg back in (inside thermometer was registering about 15 degrees) and turned the thermostat to warmest setting. within a few hours inside thermometer was around 40 degrees. Now, 24 hours later, unit does not sound as though it has ever shut off and inside thermometer is at 25 degrees.
        So I just made my first screw adjustemnt with the outside scree going 2 full turns counter clockwise for a warmer setting as per the Haier bulletin
        SB-D-004.
        Will report back.
        One question though - when I replaced the thermostat I noticed that the end of the white wire that goes behind the frost plate had a white type plastic covering (thinner and different than the coating on the majority length of this wire going to control.) Also noticed there was about 6"-8" of this thin material, while the replaced themrostat/wire only had about a 2 inch length of this covering. In either case, there was no bare metal wire behind the fronst plate. Should I have removed this plastic coating sleeve which might make it more sensitive to the cold? Just a thought/question? Thanks again for all advice.

Comment

Working...
        X