BM23 CO2 tank outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BM23 CO2 tank outside

I've searched and seen that some of you have drilled holes in the BM23 to run the CO2 lines outside the unit. (I have no knockout holes). Can any of you tell me exactly where you drilled (or post a picture?)

I'd like to do this, but don't want to hit any lines.

Thanks,

Originally posted by brindle View Post
    I've searched and seen that some of you have drilled holes in the BM23 to run the CO2 lines outside the unit. (I have no knockout holes). Can any of you tell me exactly where you drilled (or post a picture?)

I'd like to do this, but don't want to hit any lines.

Thanks,
    It's pretty much just a matter of drilling where you want. If you look at the back of the unit towards the right side you will see a channel covered with a metal shield running up the back from the compressor compartment to near the top of the unit. That is where the refrigerant lines are. As long as you steer clear of that you should be fine.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

I have a bm23 and i was wondering why you would want the co2 outside

Comment

Originally posted by SpyPenguin View Post
        I have a bm23 and i was wondering why you would want the co2 outside
        1. More room inside
        2. Easier to check the co2 regulator to see if your running out of co2
        3. Easier to make co2 adjustments if necessary (once you get it right, you shouldn't have to touch this, but still)
        4. Easier to swap out your co2 tank mid-keg.

While probably fairly insignificant reasons normally (IMO), if you're running multiple taps, these reasons become more significant.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

reason for external CO2

The reason I am considering moving it is that with some kegs (currently Fullers ESB), it is a TIGHT fit. My 10lb CO2 does not quite fit on the ledge in back, and when I place the keg and then the CO2 inside the BM23, the door shuts, but does not snap shut and hold quite the way it does when I use sixtels or german kegs.

By locking the unit, it will stay shut, but I'd really love an extra 1/4 inch space.
          Last edited by brindle; 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
            It's pretty much just a matter of drilling where you want. If you look at the back of the unit towards the right side you will see a channel covered with a metal shield running up the back from the compressor compartment to near the top of the unit. That is where the refrigerant lines are. As long as you steer clear of that you should be fine.

THE ICEMAN
            Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I found it doing a search. Could you please clarify. I'm getting conflicting info about where to drill. One tech at BevAir said stay within 3" of the back/side corners, another said I should go out the side. Who would I talk to who actually assembles the BM23? That's the only way to put this issue to rest.....talk to a production manager.

Thanks
            Last edited by Abraxas; 10-06-2010, 05:15 AM.

Comment

My previous post stands. The only place you need to stay away from is the channel running up the back & the compressor compartment. It isn't that hard to see where the lines run. They don't hide them inside the walls of the unit.

THE ICEMAN
              "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
              -Dave Barry-
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

It isn't that hard to see where the lines run. They don't hide them inside the walls of the unit.

THE ICEMAN
                It is for me, I don't see any. This is brand new box. Facing it from the rear there is a 1 1/2" strip on the far right side where apparently the solo cooling line and wiring runs from top to bottom. I figured cooling coils would be running side to side but based on the limited needs of refrigeration there is only one coil running vertically in that channel. Looks like I won't need to run a line outside after all. If I get a full keg this weekend, I'll let you know how the keg and the tank fit.

Thanks for the info.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Abraxas View Post
                  It is for me, I don't see any. This is brand new box. Facing it from the rear there is a 1 1/2" strip on the far right side where apparently the solo cooling line and wiring runs from top to bottom. I figured cooling coils would be running side to side but based on the limited needs of refrigeration there is only one coil running vertically in that channel. Looks like I won't need to run a line outside after all. If I get a full keg this weekend, I'll let you know how the keg and the tank fit.

Thanks for the info.
                  If you do end up drilling, you can drill anywhere above that shelf at the bottom of the cabinet as long as you stay away from that channel in the back.

THE ICEMAN
                  -Dave Barry-
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

If you do end up drilling, you can drill anywhere above that shelf at the bottom of the cabinet as long as you stay away from that channel in the back.

THE ICEMAN
                    Thanks and salud!

Comment

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I have the same kegerator mentioned here and want to drill an access hole in the back. Just wondering if someone who has had the guts to actually do it could post a pic and the measurements from top/side showing me where you drilled. It's an expensive box mess up.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DarqMan View Post
                        Sorry to bump such an old thread. I have the same kegerator mentioned here and want to drill an access hole in the back. Just wondering if someone who has had the guts to actually do it could post a pic and the measurements from top/side showing me where you drilled. It's an expensive box mess up.

Thanks
                        Read this thread again. You will have zero problems drilling a hole as long as you stay away from the channel running up the back & low enough that you don't drill into the evaporator fan coil area. If you pick a spot on the inside of the cabinet a couple inches or so down from the evaporator housing & the same amount in from the right exterior wall & you should be golden.

THE ICEMAN
                        -Dave Barry-
                        -Martin Luther-

Comment

The Iceman is absolutely right. I called BevAir tech support today and the technician confirmed that I can drill anywhere in the back cabinet above the bottom shelve, below the fan at the top and staying away from the channel containing the cooling and electronics. I'll post a pic once I've actually done it. Thanks Iceman, hope you're not offended I confirmed your answer with the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by DarqMan View Post
                            The Iceman is absolutely right. I called BevAir tech support today and the technician confirmed that I can drill anywhere in the back cabinet above the bottom shelve, below the fan at the top and staying away from the channel containing the cooling and electronics. I'll post a pic once I've actually done it. Thanks Iceman, hope you're not offended I confirmed your answer with the manufacturer.
                            What can I tell you? I've only been playing with those units for 27+ years... No worries...

THE ICEMAN
                            -Dave Barry-
                            -Martin Luther-

Comment

My previous post stands. The only place you need to stay away from is the channel running up the back & the compressor compartment. It isn't that hard to see where the lines run. They don't hide them inside the walls of the unit.

THE ICEMAN
                              Hi Iceman! I see the channel you are talking about on the back of my BM23. Does that contain both coolant lines and electrical? It feels cool to me so I believe you that it contains the coolant - but I'm concerned that I don't know where the electrical lines are being run.

I'm interested in drilling a hole for an external tank, which I want to put in the interior right of the kegerator. Further, I would like to screw in a panel that has my regulators on it and attach it to the back of the keg. I've marked these two items in blue in the attached picture. As long as I avoid the coolant channel you think I'm OK, right?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X