Vissani Mod HOWTO (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vissani Mod HOWTO (with pics)

This post is a guide for those interested in a cheap but fully thermal functional kegerator solution. This is more of an aggragation/photo illustration than anything. All of this info is available in other posts, this post is merely here to help the visual people get a feel for how actually quite simple this mod is so that either those who already have a vissani can resurrect it from being worth more than a paperweight or those looking to get into a cheap kegerator but were perhaps a little unsure if they wanted to head down the "modding" road.

Anyway, I hope that someone finds this information useful. Thanks to all those others who modded before me. Without their insight, I probably wouldn't have gone down this road either.

Items required:
    • Vissani 4.9 cu. ft. "beer keg dispenser" model MCKC490S
    • 3 - 4" 12vdc computer fan
    • 110 VAC to 12VDC "wall" adapter, check your old computer electronics

Tools required:
    • Wire cutters
    • Philips screwdriver
    • Electrical tape

Step 1:

Unpack the kegerator and get your work area ready

Step 2:

Unscrew the thermostat found at the top left inside of the fridge. We are preparing to adjust the screw that will lower the temperature beyond the default range.

Step 3:

Turn the screw indicated by the arrow 3/4 turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RUok0101; 02-28-2009, 08:56 PM.

Step 4:

Cut the connector off the end of the wire on the 12vdc wall adapter. Do NOT connect the fan yet, we need to feed the wire through to the inside of the fridge and if the fan is attached, it won't fit

Step 5:

Run the wire through the hole in the back for the co2 line.

Step 6:

Connect it to the wires on the fan. Plug in the fan at this point (WATCH YOUR FINGERS!). Note the airflow direction. We will want to mount to the air blows out from the back, where we will mount, to the front. I have not tried to put a full size 1/2 barrel keg in yet, so I am not sure if my mounting position will give me issues. Keep that in mind when mounting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RUok0101; 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Step 7:

Using sticky mounts and zip ties, mount the fan in the back left corner of the fridge, making sure airflow is blowing outward. I thought I took a pic of the post-mounted fan, but I guess not. Sorry

Step 8:

Move the fridge to its final resting place, and of course, pause for a beer.

Step 9:

Connect the tower, hoses, tank, coupler, etc...
      Attached Files

Comment

Step 10:

Load up the nectar of the gods, make sure its all working.

Step 11:

Marvel at its beauty.

Side note:

I bought a micromatic faucet knowing that tap handles were not going to fit well on the vissani faucet. I thought I had read somewhere that "regular" faucets would fit on the vissani tower, but that is not the case. I now have my micromatic faucet setting in the drawer awaiting the day I built a new kegerator with a dual tap setup. For now, the tap handle is just about 1 1/2 turns screwed on, and the lower nut is threaded all the way up to meet it.

Its not perfect but it seems to be holding together. The sacrifices we make for beauty.

That's all. Cheers!
        Attached Files

Comment

It Works!!

I would just like to say, I followed the modification instructions in this post, and my kegerator is working great now!! As a matter of fact, I had to go back in and adjust the screw back a little as I froze my beer lines in about an hour!!

Like most, I was very skeptical of the Vissani brand, but my local Home Depot had one on clearence for $346.00. How could I pass that up? I think I spent about $18.00 for the PC fan and AC adapter.

I am now pouring perfect beer at about 34 degrees with my temp setting on #1. I could dial the screw back a little more, but the unit is cycling on and off just fine.

Several years ago, I bought an old refrigertator and converted it into a kegerator. I think I ended up spending about $300 for the whole thing. It kept the beer cold, but I always had foaming problems. I had to keep the CO2 down really low. With the current set-up on the VIssani, I am getting perfect ports every time.

Comment

Originally posted by RUok0101 View Post

Step 7:

Using sticky mounts and zip ties, mount the fan in the back left corner of the fridge, making sure airflow is blowing outward. I thought I took a pic of the post-mounted fan, but I guess not. Sorry

Step 8:

Move the fridge to its final resting place, and of course, pause for a beer.

Step 9:

Connect the tower, hoses, tank, coupler, etc...
            Can you post a pic of how you mounted your fan?

Comment

Thanks!

Worked like a champ. Can you tell me WHY this works? Is it simply a matter of air circulation so the internal thermometer works more accurately?

Also, I used a PC fan with an AC plug....

Comment

Here are pictures of my setup. I mounted the fan pointing towards the tower as a "basic" tower cooler to help with beer foam. My kegerator is already pretty cool as it is so i didn't need to mount another one to circulate the air better.
                Attached Files

Comment

do you point the fan to blow the air towards the door to towards the back of the kegerator

Comment

You guys are hardcore. Returning the vissani and building my own was the way to go.

Comment

How many people are mounting the C02 bottle and regulator inside the cabinet and what benefit if any do you see from it?

Comment

The benefit is space saved and appearance of a tank on the outside of the unit. That's it.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Vissani What next?

Did the Mod down to 34degrees and dropping.Just wondering by turning the screw and adding fan are we sitting oursleves up for much higher elec bills(Not that money beats out COLD BEER) or even worse chance of Overheating of the unit?By adjusting the default setting have we left oursleves open for a Problem? Zman
                          Last edited by zman; 04-20-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

No, this is actually the same solution that Magic Chef will send to you in a PDF if you call them to complain about it. It's funny that they don't have this "service manual" with the fridge when you buy the product.

Comment

i did the easy thermostat "mod" and it got my temp down to 38 easily. I dont want it too much cooler because I keep other drinks in there too. like gatorade and soda. dont need them freezing and busting their guts all over my kegerator.

i might do this mod if it gets worse.

2 questions:

1 - where do i get a sweet pull handle?

2 - do any of you use 1/2 kegs?
                              it appears as though 1/2 kegs do not fit, even though the directions say they should (other than Coors).

I had a 1/4 keg of Miller Lite (with the extra rubber padding around the keg) and had to set it on the lip/ledge (in the back-bottom of the kegerator) in order for the door to close.

my tall 1/4 keg of yuengling fit fine, as did my 1/6 of shock top, but when i have a party, i'll want to get a 1/2 keg, but am scared it wont fit.

one other issue i am having:
                              the faucet has a slow drip and it is getting worse. When I first got it, I would probably lose a glass per week (unacceptable). Now, it's a glass every 2 or 3 days. I did try loosening the silver snug as suggested in the directions, but it did not change anything.
                              hey, what happened to my original signature?

Comment

Working...
                              X