Temp Controller: Digital vs. Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Controller: Digital vs. Manual?

I'm looking at the two Johnson Controls models. It seems to me the only difference b/w them is one has a digital readout (and digital controls), and the other has a little dial that you adjust. Is that it?

As far as I know that's the only difference. I just have the manuel one and it gets the job done just fine. I'm sure the digital one is easier to fine tune and probably has an extra feature or two, but the price difference wasn't worth it to me. If you don't mind paying the extra amount then by all means go for it. Maybe I'll get one in the future if it's that much better. Has anyone had both?

Comment

for the purpose of cooling a freezer, they both serve the purpose fine. The digital one allows you to set the differential as low as 2 degrees, where the manual one is set to 3.5 degrees. Also, the digital one goes up to 200F, so it can be used for heating too, but that's irrelevent to a kegerator.

If I were buying one, i'd order the manual and put the $50 saved towards beer.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

OK, thanks. I'm not bothered by the minor difference in temperature differential.

Comment

The digital one make your beer taste better and your kegs last longer...
          "because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."
          Brother Epp, 1902

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            If I were buying one, i'd order the manual and put the $50 saved towards beer.
            Exactly what I was thinking. Once you have the right temp dialed in then you basically never touch the thing so why do you need the fancy one.

Comment

Do you guys just thread the liquid thermometer between the base and the lid on your chest freezers? I could drill a hole, but with my luck there's no way I wouldn't hit a coil.

Comment

I don't even have a liquid thermometer. I just measure the beer temp and adjust accordingly. Might buy one someday. Not a neccessary accessory in my opinion.

Comment

What does your temp controller measure then to know when to shut the freezer off?

Comment

Well, having the controller set at 32 gave me 38 degree beer WHEN I had a big fan inside creating lots of heat. I'm in the process of dialing it in again without the fan. Set at 32 gave me 34 degree beer with lots of foam due to overcarbonation, and 34 gave me 36 degree beer. So tonight I set it at 35-36 (a hair below 36). Won't know the effect until tomorrow night. It may be different for everyone. What does everyone else keep theirs set at for 38 degree beer?

Comment

He's talking about the remote bulb thermometer that a lot of the analog/mechanical controllers use to measure temperature. Chances are you're going to need to drill a hole and secure it for 2 reasons... the bulb and line are relatively fragile, and even having a small break in the seal will cause frosting/condensation issues.
                      Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Ah I see. I just have it hanging through the seal secured to the inside with only tape. Good enough for government work but I may try to do something better in the future. Only had her a month so it's still a work in progress as I'm sure it will be for a while. I was afraid of hitting a coil as well. The bulb just hangs therefore it just goes on and off by the air temp.
                        Last edited by HaveAnotherBrew; 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I'm looking for a "plug-n-play" type temp controller that will allow me to just plug my freezer cord in without any electrical stripping/re-wiring. I was about to jump the gun on an ebay auction featuring the Johnson Controls A19ABA-40C, since it seemed to have the temperature range and acceptable 3 degree differential. However, a little bit of googling made me realize that this model won't be as simple to set up as I need.

Ditto with the Ranco ETC-111000 - seems it would need some wiring work.

Are the only two models with plug and play support the two for sale here on micromatic - the Johnson Controls manual and the Brewer's Edge digital?

Comment

Those are your two best choices.
                            "because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."
                            Brother Epp, 1902

Comment

the digital thermometer makes me feel high tech and super smart everytime i look at it. worth every extra penny
                              as for another option, ive read elsehwere about a LOVE controller. the home brewers use them, but they look too complicated for me. theyre pretty intense though from what i understand

Comment

Working...
                              X