Newcastle in kegerator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcastle in kegerator???

I was wondering if a keg of Newcastle will work in a Danby kegerator? I dont know much about the different taps. I know the Newcastle takes a type S tap.

I forgot, I ca rent a tap form the place I ordered my keg. Like I said I am an idiot when it comes to this. I cannot use the tap for the kegerator, I need to get a Sankey "S" coupler?

Comment

Sankey is a D coupler, and that is what came with your kegerator. You are correct that you would need to replace the existing keg coupler with an "S" coupler.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

After a few phone calls I found 1 locally and its 53.00. I dont know if I want to spend that much for a 1 time event. I can give it to the guy who is letting me borrow the kegerator. Please dont bash me but is a kegerator that much better than a regular tub? Other than the obvious with regulating the temp?

Comment

One time event? Just ice it down.................

How many beer festivals go on in sweltering heat with happy beer drinkers enjoying cold beer each summer, plenty

Local brewery in town here will even rent out jockey boxes, coolers, etc. Might check around......

Comment

Originally posted by emsdad View Post
            Please dont bash me but is a kegerator that much better than a regular tub?
            I'll have to say yes and no.
            1. The obvious...If you're getting Newcastle, you're likely serving to people who care about beer at the proper temp. (as opposed to usual keg-party where most just see how much free light lager they can down in a short period of time).
            2. With a kegerator, you're pushing with CO2. You can accurately control the carbonation of the beer throughout the life of the keg. This is good for preservation of the beer and the proper taste of having it properly carbonated. However, if this is a one night event and the whole keg will be consumed over a few hours, these issues likely won't matter.

If you have no interest in ever owning a kegerator and this beer is going to be gone in one night, I'd say forego purchasing a $50 coupler that you'll never use again and just put the keg in a tub of ice.

If there's going to be any chance of beer left over that you'd like to continue drinking over the next few days or weeks, or if you're going to have beer snobs present that you feel the need to impress by serving Newcastle at the proper temp and carbonation level, invest in the cost of using the kegerator. Then, sell the once-used coupler on ebay for a moderate loss.

Comment

Talk to the Newcastle distributor as they may loan/rent one of these to you. Your local pub is another option.
              Ed
              Blue Line Draft Systems
              www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

If you are interested in getting a coupler and keeping it, here is where I got mine so I could have Newcastle in my kegerator. $25 + shipping...

Sankey Keg Coupler S Style Euro Standard European Beer - eBay (item 150288044299 end time Sep-06-08 04:30:12 PDT)

Comment

For nearly the same money - the MM 7486E is a much higher quality coupler:

And I always recommend the upgrade to stainless with the 7485E-S:

The latter can be had for under $50 with shipping and with the exception of the O-rings and seals, should provide a lifetime of service.

It also seems appropriate to support MM as they provide this forum for the benefit of all.

Comment

Does Newcastle require Nitrogen and not CO2? Thats what the guy at the liquor store told me last night? Was he wrong? If its just a different tap I can handle that but if it requires nitrogen, I don't want to deal with all that do I? Or can I just get the CO2 tank filled with it instead? Using the same regulator and lines I have now?
                    "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up." -Will Rogers

Comment

Newcastle doesn't require beer gas, just CO2.

For a 1 time event I would say you're going to be ok with the ol' tub of ice and a party pump if the keg is going to be drained in one night. If this is over the course of a weekend I would invest in the coupler and use the kegerator.
                      Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thats good news, I love Newcastle, I'll get my own coupler and consider this for my next keg.
                        "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up." -Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by BartenderPlease View Post
                          Does Newcastle require Nitrogen and not CO2? Thats what the guy at the liquor store told me last night? Was he wrong? If its just a different tap I can handle that but if it requires nitrogen, I don't want to deal with all that do I? Or can I just get the CO2 tank filled with it instead? Using the same regulator and lines I have now?
                          Where the hell do people come up with information like this? I despise people who give out bad information. I wish I had been there, so I could tell that idiot to shut his pie hole. Or better yet, I'd bet him a keg of Newcastle that he was wrong.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                            Where the hell do people come up with information like this? I despise people who give out bad information. I wish I had been there, so I could tell that idiot to shut his pie hole. Or better yet, I'd bet him a keg of Newcastle that he was wrong.
                            He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the other stuff I was asking him, but I guess I'd compare him to some of the "retail" guys in say Best Buy or what not, they kind of know their stuff, but not 100% accurate with everything. So I'll take what they say with a grain of salt sometimes. Its the same on here too you know, some people think they know it all and this isn't the one and only all knowing place, however it is a great place to find information and get help, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing anyone, just saying that even here we have some misinformed folks...

I'm just happy to know Newcastle will be a choice of mine soon.

Comment

Hello:

Have a similar question in regards to newcastle. I'm a newbie bought a keg of budlight 2 weeks ago for my 14.5 freezer chest conv. I have all the problems settle down now, have it about 37 deg at sealevel with about 12psi. Now I also want to put in a 2nd keg in of newcastle. But I read your supposed to have it at 8psi.

I have a regular dual gauge regulator with dual ouput shut off valves. But I can only set (1) psi level. I currently have the other valve shut off and just have (1) going to the budlight. Without adding a second psi module for the other keg. How can I get the beer flowing for budlight at 12psi and newcastle at 8psi? Can I sligtlty open the newcastle shutvalve to a point and just wing it till it works? I just dont want to have over carbonated Newcastle. Thanks.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X