issues with Johnson Controlls Temp Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues with Johnson Controlls Temp Controller

I still can't seem to get my temp to stay steady. Lately the beer in the line is colder ( so first pint is colder than second by 2 degrees ) than the beer coming out of the keg. The keg is lower than the line?

I converted a chest freezer.
    Huh, so I have played with the controller. Had it set at 32degrees w/ 4 degree differential. Also had the temp bulb sitting at the bottom of my chest freezer. Beer temp first pint = 39 degrees, second pint = 43 degrees.

So after that I moved the bulb to the top of the chest freezer (thinking it would force the compressor to run more frequently to get it that cool at the top of the freezer). I also have 2 computer fans (both rated at 64CFM) circulating air + an enclosed fan that directs air (via 1" PVC) into the tower. The beer is still pouring at the same deal ... so I lowered the temp on the controller to 28 degrees ... hoping that will provide me with the best pours.

Do you think the Johnson Controls one is poor and I should get the Brewer's Edge Temp Contoller II?

Thank you!

Do you have the bulb in a glass or bottle of water? The bulb should be so that it is reading the liquid temp not the air temp. That is how I have mine and have never had a problem with warm beer.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ksz View Post
      Do you have the bulb in a glass or bottle of water? The bulb should be so that it is reading the liquid temp not the air temp. That is how I have mine and have never had a problem with warm beer.
      I didn't think the bulb on the johnson contolls is submersible in water .... it is?? that would be a lot nicer, will try out later

from item info page:
      Specifications:
      Temperature Range 20°F to 80°F
      Temperature Adjustment Dial
      Sensor Gas filled (Not submersible) on a 6' long capillary tube ****** NOT submersible
      Differential 3.5° (if you set it for 38° it will cool to 34.5°)
      Power Will control up to a 12 Amp (110 Volt) refrigerator or freezer.

Comment

I just got a johnson temp controller today. I would like some clarification as well.

Comment

neiu77 ... i opted to return mine and get the Brewer's Edge ... at least MM has killer customer service

Comment

I guess everyone is talking about a completely different Johnson Controls unit than I have. Mine is identical to the Brewers Edge type without the included pigtails (something I would have cut off anyway).
            Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I ended up keeping mine. I got it off this website. I have it set at about 35 degrees, and I am getting perfect pours and the temp in the glass is about 39. I'm guessing this is from running up through an uncooled tower and getting dispensed into a warm glass.

Even with having no fans inside the freezer, everything seems to be running great. The first glass has slightly more foam, but after that its perfection.

Comment

Working...
              X