Kegerator Line Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator Line Color

Hey guys, I have had my kegerator for a few months now and I try to make sure I keep it as clean as possible. But that past few times I have noticed the line has kind of turned a brownish tint. Nothing horrible. I am assuming its just from the beer sitting in the line. I am using this keg line cleaning concentration but it just won't seem to go away. What do you guys think?

Vinyl line is quite permeable and will take on the color of the beer. If you are thoroughly cleaning your system and you are not detecting an off taste or dispensing issue, do not worry about it.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Especially if you are drinking Sam Adams, they tend to color the lines pretty fast compared to other beers.
      Ed
      Blue Line Draft Systems
      www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

So I am really nervous to use my kegerator due to the line color. I had Easy Street Wheat in it before and an IPA I don't know if you guys are familiar with that. I just really dont' want to get sick from my kegerator.

Comment

Like Scott said, if you're cleaning it and not detecting any off taste or other dispensing issues you're not going to get sick. The vinyl is going to get "stained" by the beer due to its nature.

But, if you're that worried about it beer line is cheap... go ahead and replace it. The few dollars could be worth your peace of mind.
          Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by sygdom View Post
            So I am really nervous to use my kegerator due to the line color. I had Easy Street Wheat in it before and an IPA I don't know if you guys are familiar with that. I just really dont' want to get sick from my kegerator.

Good call on the Easy Street Wheat! In the past two months I've had Boulevard Wheat and two different IPA's tapped in mine.

As the others have said, the discoloration of the lines is not going to make you sick. It's inevitable due to the nature of the vinyl. Now, you did say you try to keep it as clean as possible, but if you haven't done so already, I recommend you get the cleaning kit for sale in the beer store on this site. The cleaning agent is designed specifically for cleaning the deposits that can be left behind by the beers. As it is, my drunk neighbor bought his kegerator a year ago, hasn't cleaned the lines once yet, and it doesn't make him sick. I refuse to drink out of it.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Alright I think I will go ahead and tap it tonight. Never heard of boulevard wheat. What brewery is that from. Well I just got an e-mail from the place I bought it from and they said its most likely a biofilm and that I should buy this special line brush. I personally think its not biofilm due to the fact that the entire line is the same color whereas I think if it were a film it would be less uniform. What do you guys think?
              Last edited by sygdom; 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sygdom View Post
                Alright I think I will go ahead and tap it tonight. Never heard of boulevard wheat. What brewery is that from. Well I just got an e-mail from the place I bought it from and they said its most likely a biofilm and that I should buy this special line brush. I personally think its not biofilm due to the fact that the entire line is the same color whereas I think if it were a film it would be less uniform. What do you guys think?
                That's doubtfull. They're just trying to sell you a brush. I really doubt it's a biofilm.

Boulevard is the name of the brewery. They're in Kansas city Missouri, and pretty much only distribute to the midwest.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                  Boulevard is the name of the brewery. They're in Kansas city Missouri, and pretty much only distribute to the midwest.
                  I read an article two days ago about A/B gettting bought out and Boulevard now being the largest 'American Brewery' in Missouri. Not only that but they are the 9th largest specialty brewery in the US, trailing the likes of Sam Adams, New Castle, ect. I think they cover 16 states and growing.

sygdom- You'll enjoy the Wheat however if you ever decide to try another one of their beers go for the Pale Ale or seasonal brew, Bob's 47.

Also, don't worry about your beer lines making you sick. There are many bars that never have their lines cleaned, trust me on that one.
                  "because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."
                  Brother Epp, 1902

Comment

Working...
                  X