Empty Kegs. Where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Kegs. Where to buy?

How did you get your kegs that you personally own. I know when I grew up in a college town, shady aquisitions were the only way. I havent lived in American for quite a few years but will return someday and would like to expand my keg collection legitimately. How did you get your? What did you pay? How many do you own? Any good websites? Thank you all in advance.

I've got one half barrel Interbrew that I aquired for the $50 deposit since my favorite mom & pop liquor shop apparently went out of business.

Comment

You can just get a keg from your beer place, pay the deposit, then do what you want with it after it's empty. That's what the deposit is for. If you don't bring it back, they keep your deposit and get another keg. I'm sure that your deposit WAY more than compensates for the price they are paying. Nothing shady about it.

Comment

paying the deposit does not entitle you to keep the keg. It is illegal to obtain kegs that way. check the boards at probrewer or contact your local micro/brewpub.
        Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
        Serving Mid-Michigan and beyond

Comment

Originally posted by LasKid View Post
          You can just get a keg from your beer place, pay the deposit, then do what you want with it after it's empty. That's what the deposit is for. If you don't bring it back, they keep your deposit and get another keg. I'm sure that your deposit WAY more than compensates for the price they are paying. Nothing shady about it.
          I even returned my latest keg to a different store and it was a non-issue. Basically I'm just plain out my $30 until I return the most recent keg. Maybe it's regional, but I think our BAR (bureau of alchohol and whatever) has canned forms for kegs and you can return it anywhere regardless of where you bought it and still get your deposit.

Comment

50 bucks does not come close to a replacement cost for the brewer and does not legally or morally entitle one to keep the keg.
            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

thanks for the info. i will chack probrewer. arigatou!

Comment

I think craigslist is the easiest method of obtaining a keg, I see them on my local Craigslist all the time for $25 - $100.

You could always go through Sabco if you have too much money.

If you have a local brewery you could always buy one that they are commissioning due to damage.

And as the other responders before me stated...just because you paid a deposit it does not mean you have purchased a keg.

Comment

In Missouri, it's a state mandated $50 deposit. They take down your name, driver's license number, address, phone number, etc, and tag the keg with a number that matches the form you filled out at the store. If you don't bring back the keg with that tag attached, no deposit return, and you can not return a keg from one store to somewhere else. Missouri implemented this system in the past 2-3 years. Used to be if you had a keg, you could just take it to any store and exchange it rather than drop a deposit down. People were stealing empties from bars and either using them to exchange or scrapping them. It's now also illegal for scrap yards here to accept empty kegs.

$50 comes no where near what a brewery pays for a keg, and does not entitle you to keep it. But a friend of mine had a friend of his bring a half empty keg over to a party several years ago. My friend kept the empty in his garage, thinking someone would claim it. He didn't know who it belonged to. 3 years go by, Missouri implements it's new keg policy, and he CAN'T return it. So he sold it on Craig's list for $50.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize kegs cost so much! When I got one the guy acted like he didn't care if I ever brought it back when I asked him how long I can keep it. I'm surprised the deposit isn't higher (not that I'm complaining). I do remember that a few yrs ago they used to say that if you didn't bring it back by a certain date you got charged a lot more, but they don't do that anymore. Maybe there is some state law stuff that changed. Learn something new everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by LasKid View Post
                      Wow, I didn't realize kegs cost so much! When I got one the guy acted like he didn't care if I ever brought it back when I asked him how long I can keep it. I'm surprised the deposit isn't higher (not that I'm complaining). I do remember that a few yrs ago they used to say that if you didn't bring it back by a certain date you got charged a lot more, but they don't do that anymore. Maybe there is some state law stuff that changed. Learn something new everyday!
                      kegs can cost the brewers upwards of $150 each. The guy at the store really couldn't care less if you bring it back or not. It's no money out of his pocket if you don't. You lose the $50. I don't know how it works, if the brewery ends up with your $50 deposit after so long, or what. But I think the deposits should be much higher. Because plenty of home brewers would sooner pay the $50 deposit and keep a keg rather than pay $150 for a 15 gallon home brew kettle.

In answer to the original question, where to buy empty kegs.... I have read on other forums this, too. You can call local brewers and possibly distributors and ask them. They have to decommission kegs on a regular basis, and would probably sell you one. I've read prices as low as $15 or $20. Then, it's YOURS legally.
                      Last edited by cubby_swans; 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

also, i realize the OP was talking about collecing kegs (man, that collection must take up a lot of space), but for those looking for a keg for a bre pot... they can also be found here.

15.5 Homebrew Kettle With One Weld Half Barrel

Home Brew IPA

Comment

i want intact kegs for personal private consumtion. i dont intend to brew yet. is it so unheard of for joe blow (me) to seek a keg legitimately for personal use?

Comment

It's not unheard of. But commercial kegs don't really tend to be the best option for home brewers. Old soda kegs are what most of us use. The soda kegs are easier to clean and fill and are perfect for 5 gallon batches.
                            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by Zanpa View Post
                              i want intact kegs for personal private consumtion. i dont intend to brew yet. is it so unheard of for joe blow (me) to seek a keg legitimately for personal use?

I don't understand. If you're not brewing, why do you need to own a keg? Can you get it filled even cheaper than getting a pre-filled keg from the store?

Comment

Working...
                              X