Built in kegerator makes alot of noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in kegerator makes alot of noise

I just got my brand new SBC490BI summit undercounter kegerator. Got it instaled into my bar pluged it in and the compresor kicked on. So did a really loud fan atached to the back.(An extra fan to blow air acros the coils) Wich was kinda weired, because the temp switch was off. I did'nt really think anything of it tossed a cup of water in to check temp and left it for a few hours. I came back a few hours later and the cup was about half frozen. The compresor had never shut off. Well a few phone calls latter I finaly got a hold of someone a summit. They do not have very good custermer service. Someone localy will call me in 2-3 days to schedual an appointment to get it fixed. Well i just wanted to share this story. If you buy an item from summit and it is defective out of the box they act like they are doing you a favor to get it fixed. Also does anyone have this model the owners manual says the extra Built In fan noise should be similar to a computer fan sound. It is so much louder. You have to speak up if your talking close to it. It sounds like a bad bering in the fan moter. Anyway if someone has this model i'd like to know if your fan is that loud to.

Thanks Doug

The fan's noisy because it's trying to push 114 CFM at 2200 RPM. 114 CFM is about the same as the amount of air coming out of your air conditioning vent.

I have found references on their website that make me believe that the fan speed can be controlled by reducing the voltage. I've got the stuff to do it, I just haven't wired it up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterloo View Post
      The fan's noisy because it's trying to push 114 CFM at 2200 RPM. 114 CFM is about the same as the amount of air coming out of your air conditioning vent.

I have found references on their website that make me believe that the fan speed can be controlled by reducing the voltage. I've got the stuff to do it, I just haven't wired it up yet.
      Well i was hopeing something was wrong with the fan, and could be replaced under the warenty. What all did you get to reduce the voltage? Let me know how it works.

thanks doug

Comment

Summit makes an excellent product that pours great beer, which is the ultimate goal of a kegerator. I had an older one for years that had the hell beat out of it and god knows how many kegs and the guy that inherited it from me is still using it.

The down side is that its built like a commercial unit, so it'll be noisy... especially when confined space like a built-in. The fact that the thermostats are so inaccurate seems to be a recurring theme with them lately though.
        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

We'll it's the weekend and no call from summit service. I've been trying find info on summit thermostats without much luck. So my question is. Is the box that the temp control knob is on the thermostat? And is there anything anyone can recomend to do if the compresor is runing evan with the temp switch off? It's runing continusly, frezing and never shuting off no matter where the temp knob is set. I just picked up my keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and it's in my spare fridge doing nothing.

Thanks Doug

Comment

Originally posted by douglvsbeer View Post
            Well i was hopeing something was wrong with the fan, and could be replaced under the warenty. What all did you get to reduce the voltage? Let me know how it works.

thanks doug
            Finally got around to it over the weekend.

I had a variable speed fan control (like a light dimmer, but built for a fan). My father-in-law actually gave it to me, so I can't help you with where to get one. In any case, given the rather low draw of the fan, you could probably just use a lighting dimmer.

It works like a champ. Before, I wasn't sure if the compressor actually made any noise - now I know that it does!

When you look at the fan wiring from the back, I pulled the spade off of the right hand side and put the control in between.

Best of luck.

Comment

I just bought and installed 2 of these Summit SBC490 under counter units and can not believe how NOISY they are! Sounds like O'Hare airport down in my basement. I am shocked that this forum is the only mention of this issue that I could find on the internet?

Does reducing the voltage to the fan (thus reducing the jet engine-like noise) to a level that reduces noise to a tolerable level, result in sufficient cooling capacity for this unit??

I have tried to reach Summit Appliances for support via email, and have not yet received worth-while responses (i.e. they ask if I am sure the unit is level, etc).

I am surprised how many great reviews the Summit SBC490 unit gets throughout various epinion sites / forums, if this noise level that I am experiencing is the norm, because I find it absolutely intolerable!

Comment

You got me seriously worried now. My bar is half way built and the kegerator will need to go under my counter. I was considering this unit but I don't want a jet engine in my downstairs. I'm suprised also that I hadn't read anything about this problem on here before.

Comment

Built In Summit

I too have the 490 BI and I too was shocked at the noise, but it really is not that bad. There must be a few defective units floating around. This happens though. I really don't think it is as loud as some of you are making it appear. Mine is built in under a custom bar. I do hear it when the compressor kicks on....it is supposed to keep the air circulating to cool the compressor b/c of the unit being built in. It should only kick on when the compressor kicks on, which in my humid but air conditioned basement, about every 15 minutes. As for the performance of the unit itself, I have no complaints at all. I have had mine for 1 1/2 months now without one problem.......I did huge amounts of research and I disagree with those who say this is a bad unit. I found nothing but good remarks about this Summit unit........
                  HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Comment

Steelersbar,

Thanks for the info. I understand there will be some noise but these posts were really strting to worry me. This is still probably the unit I'll go for. When you bought yours did you upgrade anything from the standard package?

Comment

I have had the 490 BI for a few months now. As for keeping your beer cold and poring a good glass of beer it does a great job. When I first started this thread my kegertor was not built in yet and it was really loud. After I got it installed it was night and day differance. One thing that made a big differance was when your levaling your kegerator adjust the screws out as far as possible so you have minimun top clerance, because that is where alll your noise will come out at. if your any good with sheet metal you can create a baffel to narrow the squirel cage fan exaust to just over the coils that will help to. As for the quality of the summit when i got the kegerator it had defective thermostat. It was difficult to get a response from them they drug there feet. I was not very impresed with there costomer service. I bought it through Micro matic so a call to there costomer service got things going they sent me a new thermostat i put it in and have been happy ever since I'm on my 5th keg.

Comment

Originally posted by str1der View Post
                        Steelersbar,

Thanks for the info. I understand there will be some noise but these posts were really strting to worry me. This is still probably the unit I'll go for. When you bought yours did you upgrade anything from the standard package?

Str1der,

I upgraded to the dual tap SS faucet. I liked the idea of having 2 beers on tap b/c my wife and I have some difference in taste of beer. I knew that if I bought a one tap faucet, I would be limited in drinking what I trully like. Plus, the difference in price was only $150. The only other upgrade was to a premium MM dual gauge regulator. I HIGHLY reccommend doing that. Stick with the Summit....you will be happy........
                        HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Comment

Working...
                        X