Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Kegerator for Guinness conversion

Newbie question here:

I'm looking to get a kegerator to be used primarily to dispense Guinness. I've done a little research on the necessary conversions that are needed, etc. I've already invested in a Guinness conversion kit, and I'm now looking for a kegerator to buy. I've been looking at both the Danby and the Nostalgic Electrics kegerators (shows you the price range I'm in), and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on which one (if any) would be best for my situation. Thanks.

-JL

Originally posted by Shifty1jl View Post
    Newbie question here:

I'm looking to get a kegerator to be used primarily to dispense Guinness. I've done a little research on the necessary conversions that are needed, etc. I've already invested in a Guinness conversion kit, and I'm now looking for a kegerator to buy. I've been looking at both the Danby and the Nostalgic Electrics kegerators (shows you the price range I'm in), and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on which one (if any) would be best for my situation. Thanks.

-JL
    I have the Danby, and the mods necessary to get it functioning properly were cheap (less than $25) and simple (less than an hours worth of tinkering).
    Not sure what all you've ordered so far for your Guiness conversion, but I think you should also consider building a freezer kegerator conversion, if the asthetics don't bother you. You'll have much more success in getting the temperature under control going this way. With a kegerator purchase, you'll be replacing the parts out that you need to dispense for your Guiness. No sense in purchasing those parts in the first place if you don't have to. You could find a freezer, and then just get any remaining items you might need to complete (temperature controller, tower, etc). If you're not sure what all you would need, just tell us exactly what you ordered, someone will tell you what else you need to do a freezer conversion.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

If you go with the Nostalgia you can throw most of those parts away... they aren't worth the metal they're cast out of.

I have this particuler brand, if you go with that one save yourself a big headache and buy a new gas regulator (You probably already have one with your kit) and a Brewmaster's Edge II digital contoller. The rest of your kit already addresses the other crap components like the faucet and coupler.
      Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

The freezer conversion won't work for me. Basically, the main reason for this purchase is for my upcoming wedding. The future wife and I wanted to have a Guinness toast (instead of champagne) and I was able to convince her that the only way to do this properly was to get a kegerator. =) It took a lot of convincing, and when we were looking at our options, she was dead set against the converted freezers.

I went and ordered the Nostalgia kegerator, my reasoning was that the only consistent problems I read about in these forums were the temperature, and the regulator. The temp. problem seemed to be easily remedied, and the Guinness conversion kit comes with a new regulator anyway, so I hope to be in good shape. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.

-JL
        Last edited by Shifty1jl; 04-20-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Well, I picked up the Nostalgia kegerator today, and I've switched out the stock faucet with the stout faucet. I have my 5 lb. tank of 75/25 gas, now all I need to do is get an adapter so the gauge can fit into the tank, oh and a keg of Guinness. =) I should have this up and running by tomorrow. Hopefully, it works out.

-JL

Comment

Congrats... I cant wait to get mine running!
            DKC645BLS (Jan. 08 Production)
            -All MM Hardware

Comment

Ok, so I got the keg today, and I think I finally have this thing up and running. There was a little problem with getting the door closed with the keg in it, but a little ingenuity (and some scratches on our hardwood floors) took care of that. I'm assuming that I have to let this keg sit and settle down a bit now, which is the hardest part. I'm almost waiting to see a huge puddle of Guinness on my floor when I wake up tomorrow morning, or some other minor catastrophe. I hope to have the first pint for breakfast tomorrow. I can see this getting bad really fast.

-JL

Comment

So I'm a few pints in to the keg, and it turned out great! Thanks to everyone who's posted on these forums and helped me with my research. Cheers!

In my (very) amateur opinion, this kegerator is just fine if you are going to convert it for Guinness. As jumper pointed out, the stock parts that come with the unit are junk (beer lines, regulator, spout, CO2 tank, etc.). However, when you buy the Stout beer conversion kit from MicroMatic, you are replacing all of those parts. Thanks for all the help.

-JL

Comment

nice! Cheers! and good luck with the wedding!!! Congrats!

Comment

Well, the wedding went great, and the Guinness tasted amazing. =)

Now I think I have to get another one before the Stanley Cup Finals start on Saturday.

Thanks again for all the help.

-JL

Comment

Working...
                    X