Two 1/4 Barrel Kegs STACKED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two 1/4 Barrel Kegs STACKED

I have a Summit kegerator and am interested in putting two 1/4 barrel kegs in it stacked one on top of the other.

The kegerator fits a 1/2 barrel keg no problem. Has anyone tried putting in two 1/4 barrels? I have the low profile US coupler, but may need to use a regular coupler for the second keg if the second keg is international.

Thanks,
    Zach

Two 1/4 pony kegs absolutely will not fit. Even two slim quarters likely won't fit. Slims are 11-1/8 inches in diameter. Make two templates to that diameter and see if they will fit. Your best bet for two on tap will be using sixth barrels or start homebrewing and use corny kegs.

Comment

I know that two pony 1/4 kegs will not work. I am talking about stacking two regular 1/4 kegs, the middle keg seen here:

Anyone know about that?

Thanks.
      Zach

Comment

Those are pony kegs, and no... they will not fit. You're about 3.5" too tall with them stacked.
        Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

The internal height of the kegerator is EXACTLY 29''

Each pony 1/4 barrel keg is supposedly aroun 13.5''. This, with two low profile couplers (1'' each) and the kegs stacked, I thought maybe I would be able to squeeze them in there.

Has anyone ever tried this?

-Zach

Comment

Originally posted by MrZ123 View Post
            The internal height of the kegerator is EXACTLY 29''

Each pony 1/4 barrel keg is supposedly aroun 13.5''. This, with two low profile couplers (1'' each) and the kegs stacked, I thought maybe I would be able to squeeze them in there.

Has anyone ever tried this?

-Zach
            Have you actually measured the pony kegs you wish to use? According to Micromatic's directions for building a conversion kegerator, they list the dimensions of a 1/4 barrel at 14.8 inches in height.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Haier makes one

I know this is a old post but Haier make a modle HBF205E that will hold
              1) Two 1/4 barrel kegs
              2) Two 1/6 barrels kegs (narrow)
              3) One 1/4 barrel (slim) keg One 1/6 barrel (narrow) keg
              4) One 1/2 barrel keg

It also come with an Keg Joining Bracket that will hold the two 1/4 barrels one on top of the other.

Hope this helps

Comment

Is the Haier Model HBF205E still available? Where? I'm using an old refrigerator that can hold two 1/4 kegs, but it's cheap and I have a difficult time maintaining the correct temperature even though I'm using the thermostat purchased at this site. Also, the fridge is so cheap it isn't frost-free so I have to defrost it every few weeks or so.

I'd like a kegerator that can hold two 1/4 kegs.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Pat in Menifee, CA

Comment

Hbf20

Yea they still make it

HBF205EBSS - Dual Tap BrewMaster Kegerator

Comment

From what it says on the web the Summit SBC-500 can fit two 1/4 barrel slim kegs or two 1/6 kegs. I have this unit and have not tried it yet. See link below:

http://www.***************.com/refri...sbc500ss.shtml

Cheers!

Comment

Here is a clip from a vendor's site that gives the specifics of a Summit SBC 500.............

"Full Size / 1/2-Barrel Holds 1
                      Pony Size / 1/4-Barrel Holds 1
                      1/4-Barrel Slim Holds 2
                      1/6-Barrel Holds 2
                      Home Brew Holds 2
                      5-Liter / Mini Keg Holds 2"

Another thing to consider is the size of the "gap" from the rim of the keg to the coupler. On the kegs I have floating around here, that measures out to 1/2" or less; even with a low profile coupler, I doubt the 2 kegs could stack flush without the coupler getting in the way. Side by side, no worries.
                      "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
                      Gram Parsons

Comment

My Haier HBF05EBSS will fit 2 tall 1/4's(very tight), but there is no way it will stack 2 short quarters.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have NEVER seen a kegerator that was purpose designed for a single 1/2 bbl hold two squat 1/4 bbl kegs successfully, though many have tried... Even the commercial units, which often offer more space, and which you can nearly always fit two slim 1/4's cannot hold two stacked 1/4's, and the residential units are often smaller or offer less clearances than your typical commercial units.

Try the circle cutouts to see if you can go dual slim, and keep in mind that you cannot have ANY overlap!

Comment

The Haier HBF205EBSS might work, but the dimensions indicated appear to be the outside dimensions. For our purposes, the inside dimensions are a little more important. I just measured the 1/4-keg in my fridge and it's about 16" high including the low-profile coupler.

Does anyone own one of these Haier units and can you measure the inside dimensions?

Another reason for me wanting to replace my existing keg refrigerator: I was out of town for a while and I unplugged it - My electric bill went down by nearly $200. I think a more modern kegerator would operate more efficiently.

Thanks in advance,

Pat in Menifee, California

Comment

This dialog is an example of why people sometimes make their own kegerators. I ended up using a GE 7 cubic foot freezer that comfortably contains 2 tall quarter kegs or two corny kegs and 1 tall quarter. See mattnad's Album: Man Cave

Comment

Working...
                              X