Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a counterflow system for cooling beer lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a counterflow system for cooling beer lines?

Hello, I'm very new to all of this beer dispensing. I just bought a house with a nice bar already built. It has a full size fridge+freezer that I'm going to turn into beer storage. However, I don't want the tap(s) on the door itself, instead I'd like a separate tower.

The tower will be roughly 4-6' away, then 3' up, give or take.

There appear to be a number of fan-based air circulation plans to keep the beer lines cool for a remote tap handle install. However, what I was thinking of doing was running the beer tubing inside something else, ie, garden hose, similar to a counterflow wort chiller. I'd have a small reservoir of water in the fridge and a pump somewhere in the system. The water would be a closed system so I'd run a return line back to the fridge too.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I suppose it won't chill the tap tower, but I think the tubing (and beer) will stay cooler so that might be less of a problem.

I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions as I continue my planning, but that's
    it for now.

Thanks.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I doubt that your frig unit will be able to keep the water from a small resevoir cool that's recirculating through a 6-9 foot line (or rather 12-18 total length). It may work at first, but I think you will be constantly loosing ground on keeping the water cool. I think you would have to have a pretty large resevoir or else a major cooling source such as the freezer. Unless you you can get a extremely low gpm pump.

Don't know for sure, but that's my thought.

Comment

Someone here did this and he ended up running coils of water line up through the freezer to cool the water... but it can be done.
      Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I have done this. I used a condensation pump and reservior system. 2- 3/8 ploy lines with the beer line , wraped with foil tape themwrape with the clear vinly tape that lumber yards use to bundle pieces. this is all put in a foam insulation tube. ss turn around on the shank end . the reserior has a float in the tank so if the fluid gets low the pump stops. they work o.k.
        L. Tapper

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

So, it sounds like this should work but might be overly complicated. What are the odds of an air system working at >7'? Everything I've read on using the small(er) fans says to only use them up to maybe 5'.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X