Good design for a blower setup ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good design for a blower setup ?

I would like to add a blower to my kegerator. Does anyone have a good design they would like to share?

I found a link( I think on this forum) to an online resource for affordable blower fans and I would like to find a way to utilize one.

BUYEXTRAS.COM

thanks

Originally posted by jerm74 View Post
    I would like to add a blower to my kegerator. Does anyone have a good design they would like to share?

I found a link( I think on this forum) to an online resource for affordable blower fans and I would like to find a way to utilize one.

BUYEXTRAS.COM

thanks
    This is what you're looking for. Lunkhead used a fan that looks like the ones in your link. You could use any type of flexible hosing, not necessarily copper piping. I used a flexible hose that had support in the walls so that it didn't kink when bent.

I did mine with a PC power supply and it's fan. Here's what I did.... look about half way down this post for details and pix. Also, check Duff's link in post #4 of this topic. That's the post that made me build the one I did.

Last edited by cubby_swans; 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

awesome...thx for the links, alot of good info and pictures to work with.

Comment

i just kicked a keg today, and tower cooling has been on my to-do list since i bought my danby back just before christmas, so i'm gathering the parts before my next keg arrives. i'm leaning toward the 12V fan in the radio shack project box with a tube up into the tower...but i have a question:

if i steal 12VDC from the danby's fan, it'll run when the compressor runs. does the compressor cycle frequently enough to keep me with a cold tower?

the other options are stealing 120VAC (and using an AC/DC converter in the box) from the inlet to the AC/DC converter on the board supplying the fan (and other stuff down there in the back) or running another 120VAC line to a plug and plugging the thing in...

thanks in advance for the help! this board is great! i did the resistor mod before i even put my first keg in -- what a huge savings. now i'm thinking that a cold tower will make this thing work just about perfectly...

dan
        Last edited by dshilkit; 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I ran my power supply up thru the base of the tower, and under the top cover of the kegerator to a female power port that I installed on the back of the kegerator. The 12volt transformer just plugs into the power port for a cleaner and safer install. See pics below.
          Attached Files

Comment

A link back in time

Home made cooling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of fan rigged for cooling tower. Cardboard fan shroud, duct taped together. Some scrap tubing. Battery power supply.
            Moves the cold air, from the bottom, to the tower.
            COLDER BEER.
            SEAN
            Attached Thumbnails
            I cool my tower with Beer.
            http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

AC motor

Why not just run an AC motor and pig tail it to the fridges powercord??

Comment

Originally posted by Dmac View Post
                Why not just run an AC motor and pig tail it to the fridges powercord??
                because most ac motors are serious overkill for a home kegerator and generate too much heat.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

getting back to my original question: is the cycling of the danby's fan enough to keep my tower cool if i wire the blower power to it?

Comment

I say no

Your fan should be on, and circulating air. It will also help decrease the temp difference throughout the unit.
                    SEAN
                    I cool my tower with Beer.
                    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

+1 to what bonefish said.

I would run the fan 24/7.

Comment

tower cooler

Hello,

I have just completed my first kegerator and have no need for a tower cooler. Did I mess up some were ? My beer doesnt stay in my tower line. And by the time Im done pouring a 12 oncer the faucet is freezing cold.

Russ

Comment

If the beer isn't staying in the line all the way to the faucet then there is indeed a problem, possibly the coupler's check valve. Typically if you don't cool the tower the beer in the line will warm to the point of releasing CO2 if left for a few hours. After that you're greeted with a nice glass of foam on that first pour.
                          Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Jumper

I had a bud hold the lid open while I poured one. Its was just hard to tell there was beer in the lines Im cool ! thanks for making me look further ! I have had this keg for a week and a party already no problems I guess cause there was really beer in my lines ! THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by jackstraw View Post
                              +1 to what bonefish said.

I would run the fan 24/7.
                              thanks, jack & bone...i'll set it up to run all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X