Kegerator Wannabee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator Wannabee

Have read a bunch of posts...plenty of smart beer-men on this forum.

Any kegerator systems I should steer towards or away from?

I have an outdoor, undercounter space to fill. It looks like for just under a grand I should be able to get a capable system with all the trimmings. Any upgrades that are a MUST HAVE? I want to drink cool, foam free beer for a looong time!

Sure there are plenty of different opinions out there and I hope to get a bunch....will try to spot some patterns then decide.

Thanks,

JC

Will this kegerator remain outside at all times?

Unit meant for outdoor use can get $$$$

What area of the country are you located?
    Cheaper option is to have a unit on wheels that you can push out to the bar when you want to but remain indoors most of the time.

Comment

The unit will stay outside at all times.

Live in Knoxville TN... will be hot in summer.

Guess the concern is keeping everything outside of the refrig cool?

Thanks for the quick reply.

JC

Comment

No the issue comes down to when the outside temp gets cold enough, the compressor won't kick on and if temps get too low the items inside can freeze. Also an issue of the cooling lines if exposed to low temps could contract enough to allow the lubricating oil to escape. It mostly happens on refrig/freezer units and have to be specially designed.

Summit model # SBC-490 OS and Marvel 60HK-SS-F are both rated for outdoor use, but run $1350+ and $2500+ respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by skibumdc View Post
          Also an issue of the cooling lines if exposed to low temps could contract enough to allow the lubricating oil to escape. It mostly happens on refrig/freezer units and have to be specially designed.
          I don't know where in the world you came up with that!!!

Those are all sealed systems & ideally never leak. They are made to run at extreme temps & pressures.

I work on those type of systems daily & have never encountered what you are describing.
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Yeah, the lines off the compressor are typically brazed. The thermal cycle you'd need to expand or contract the metal qucikly enough to cause any leak problems isn't likely in TN.
            Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the tips...would have thanked you sooner but had to work in order to pay for the new Summit outdoor model.

Cheers,

JC

Comment

I had a similar question. My kegerator is in my garage. In the Summer it gets up to 115°F sometimes hotter in there. I was thinking that would over work the compressor. I plan on moving into the house before it got real hot outside but I just like having it in the garage. It lookks good next to my other Miller (MIG Welder).

Comment

I would definitely be concerned about a kegerator in 115 degree heat, for exactly the same reason.

If I were you, I'd find a place for it inside during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                    I had a similar question. My kegerator is in my garage. In the Summer it gets up to 115°F sometimes hotter in there. I was thinking that would over work the compressor. I plan on moving into the house before it got real hot outside but I just like having it in the garage. It lookks good next to my other Miller (MIG Welder).
                    Those little compressors don't like temperatures such as that. They are made to run in an environment up to about 90* ambient temperature & can get a little fussy if it gets much warmer. Its kind of like driving your old car through Death Valley in the heat of summer. You can do it but don't expect the A/C to work too well.

I have a commercial under counter ice machine on my back porch that I have on a timer to run only at night. Here in Az. in the summer it can easily stay above 90* at night & over 115* during the day.

If you can't move your kegerator inside at least get a fan to circulate plenty of air around it.

THE ICEMAN
                    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                    -Dave Barry-
                    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                    X