Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quieter EVaporator Fan

Hi,
    I just purchased a used Beverage-air DD58. I love having beer on tap, but was hoping to see if I can make it quieter. It's not the compressor kicking in that is too loud, I'm used to that. It's the 24/7 evaporator fan running.
    Has anyone retrofitted a different fan or multiple fans in the ancient to make it quieter?
    I was thinking a pair of computer fans to replace the evaporator fan, and putting in a dedicated tower fan. Before I start hacking, I wanted to see if anyone else has done this.
    Thanks

First of all, welcome to the forum...

Normally the evaporator fan is pretty quiet & not noticeable when running. Is the motor making a squealing or growling type of noise?
    Since you mentioned that you got the unit used I would guess that the unit had been shut down with the doors closed, not allowing the unit to air out & as a consequence moisture collected on the motor causing some rust. You might be able to spray a bit of WD40 in the motor to quiet it up. If that does not solve the problem then replacement with a factory type motor would be best.

You have to be careful retrofitting the unit with something other than factory style fan motors. If there is too little airflow over the evaporator you run the risk of freezing up the coils & reducing efficiency.

THE ICEMAN
    Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 09-13-2017, 06:28 PM. Reason: Added goodness...
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

IMG_0335.JPG Thanks Iceman.
      It was closed up for a bit, still works great.
      I just find the evap fan has a steady hum (I suspect its regular fan noise of this type) I will give it a shot of WD40 and see what happens though. Machine is placed in my "mancave" with TV, stereo, etc, was just hoping to make its ambient noise a bit less when compressor isn't running.
      Understood about changing evap fans and potential freeze-up issues, that was why I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and if they were successful or not. Ie: if they changed fans successfully, what did they use.
      Cheers
      Last edited by Tcp710; 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Working...
      X