Older Danby advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Danby advice needed

I have looked through alot of different posts to understand what is happening to my Danby but am still at a loss. I changed over to kegging a couple of years ago and picked up all the necessary parts needed for a two tap kegerator system. My fridge that I found was the Danby stainless steel front fridge with the chiller on the back wall, the same as the kegerators that you buy at Costco, but with an analog temperature dial not the digital version. She has been working well for the past few years but has developed an issue this past week. If I set it to low then I can hear the starter click on but the click off again a minute later, the compressor seems to run at this time quietly but then shuts off in conjunction with the starter shutting off. If I turn the dial colder she doesn't turn on at all.
    Is there a page of tests that can be performed to understand what my issue is or a checklist to go through. I have seen tests for the digital version but not many people have these older ones anymore I am guessing.
    Before I strip her down and junk it for another Danby, I will be needing it soon since I have a batch of beer almost ready for kegging, I am hoping to determine if she can be fixed.
    Thanks for your input
    Chris

Welcome to the forum...

It sounds from your description that your temp control is going bad. If you have an ohmmeter you can test the control at the wire connections & cycle the control on & off. If you don't, you can take the two wires leading to the temp control & jumper the wires together to see if the compressor will run continuously. Careful that the wires are not touching anything. If the compressor runs without shutting down that pretty much tells you the control is bad. You can either try to find a new Danby control or use an exterior control such as this one... https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-...ure+controller

If you do go with an exterior control you would need to leave the temp control wires jumpered & make sure they are insulated with tape. You would also need to experiment with the exterior temp control temperature sensor placement. Up towards the top near the tower hole is good place to start.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply Iceman! I pulled the thermostat out and jumped the red and black wires together and she didn't fire up. She made a bit of a whir then clicked off. Is there a way to test the overload protector that I believe is on the side of the compressor? Or am I heading down the wrong path?
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
      X