Kegco Kegerator - compressor not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegco Kegerator - compressor not running

Hi all, newbie and first time poster. I have a Kegco K-199SS-G that I purchased new in Aug 2014 and has been running well until today when I noticed a "clicking" sound, and the compressor not kicking on. The cold plate does have frost on it. I'm pretty lost when it comes to refrigeration (but good around electrical/electronics) so I hope you guys might be able to guide me in some troubleshooting steps. Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to the forum...
    If the cold plate has frost on it then the compressor is running at least for a time. It may have a hard time starting up after it cycles off & the back on again. If you have an ammeter you can take a reading & compare it to the LRA (locked rotor amperage) rating on the compressor data plate. If it comes anywhere close to the LRA then the compressor is locking up.
    You can try sourcing new start components for the compressor but unless it is a Tecumseh or a Copeland, chances are it is foreign made & may be tough to find. An alternative is to get a 3-in-1 hard start such as this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supco-Relay-...MAAOSwWxNYwc0V
    There is a schematic on the label so it is not hard to wire in.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks IceMan for the advice. I ordered one of these with fingers crossed that is what it is. Will be here Friday so we shall see then. Cheers!

Comment

That did it IceMan, thanks again!

Comment

Complete amateur here, I can't quite figure out the power. I'd imagine I need to splice the white wire and connect it to one of the black wires and leave the blue wire connected to the kegerator and splice that with the other black wire, is that correct?

Comment

I presume you are using a 3-in-1 kit like the one above? If so, you would take the two wires powering the compressor & connect one each to the black wires on the 3-in-1 & then connect the remaining wires to the corresponding terminals on the compressor... Red to run, white to start & black to common.

THE ICEMAN
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Hey iceman, sorry I missed your reply, I had figured out the wiring and the kegerator was working great until today. I ordered the Supco RCO210 and just realized today that the 3 n 1 is 120V and my compressor is only 115V, did I completely fry my compressor. I should also note that I had it plugged into a surge protector with several other things and I came and had to reset my surge protector, it looked like it tripped.

Comment

Hello, I am new to this board. My neighbor was also dealing with the same issue and THE ICEMAN had provided the best informative solution. But, as I am a bit late to join as they had already consulted the electricians in Bryn Mawr PA where they had advised them to hire a service repairman for it. After taking professional help their kegco Kegerator issue was solved by them.
                Last edited by DonaldCostello; 02-14-2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X