Thorough Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorough Cleaning

Ok, so I've been using my setup for 5 years now and all works well, but I think I need to take this apart and do a thorough cleaning. Meaning maybe dismantle the tower and clean the tap etc, All I do is clean the lines between kegs with the cleaning solution that came with the system, and the spout of the tap with a brush. Do you all have any words of wisdom on this? Perhaps someone has documented a procedure here? Or maybe I need to do nothing at all?

Having a kegerator is probably the best and worst thing that happened to me. Best: I have great german/belgian beer on tap at all times. Every party turns into a beer fest with my friends who generally drink scotch and wine. Summer bbqs are 10 times better. Worst: Well, I can drink beer pretty much anytime i want (luckily I havent put on any weight due to it). Thats actually not a bad thing!!

You should throw the beer line away 4 years ago. The faucet should be disassembled when you clean every time, unscrew the bonnet - the round part just below where the tap handle ends. That should free up everything else. Soak it in the cleaning solution and brush it all over. The center section of the coupler is where the beer travels and should be cleaned each time too. Soak it and brush the bore clean, you will have to remove the check valve - either a ball and retainer or a little plastic spear and retainer.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
      You should throw the beer line away 4 years ago. The faucet should be disassembled when you clean every time, unscrew the bonnet - the round part just below where the tap handle ends. That should free up everything else. Soak it in the cleaning solution and brush it all over. The center section of the coupler is where the beer travels and should be cleaned each time too. Soak it and brush the bore clean, you will have to remove the check valve - either a ball and retainer or a little plastic spear and retainer.
      Great information DJC, thank you. So basically undo the ring and clean the "nose" portion of the faucet? I didnt know I could remove the plastic portion of the coupler to remove the ball without breaking it. I guess it just turns and comes off?

Comment

The whole faucet - take it all the way down to its pieces. The plastic retainer should twist out, I have the ball and spring type so I don't have personal experience taking that type out.

Comment

The whole faucet - take it all the way down to its pieces. The plastic retainer should twist out, I have the ball and spring type so I don't have personal experience taking that type out.
          DJC - Could you point me to any instructions or direction for doing this. I feel there is more to taking apart the faucet tahn removing the ring and the front portion. I'd love to clean it but need to know how to put it back again. I think the faucet really need a good cleaning because, on the first pour the beer flow is not full, its as if something is stuck. The after pouring a glass or two the flow is full. Time to take it all apart this weekend!

Comment

I assume by the way you are describing it, you have a rear closing faucet (easy to identify by the button that moves in and out on the front face). Follow this link, and then hit the 'replacement parts' tab towards the bottom, there is a schematic. Once you unscrew the bonnet, the mechanism will be free to come out the back of the body. I'm guessing after 5 years you are going to find an interesting bunch of stuff in there.

Comment

I assume by the way you are describing it, you have a rear closing faucet (easy to identify by the button that moves in and out on the front face). Follow this link, and then hit the 'replacement parts' tab towards the bottom, there is a schematic. Once you unscrew the bonnet, the mechanism will be free to come out the back of the body. I'm guessing after 5 years you are going to find an interesting bunch of stuff in there.

Thanks djc, I'm going to give a shot. I'll take pictures of what I find for you!!

Comment

A big thank you the djc. Looks like I really needed to clean this faucet. The whole process was effortless and I promise to do this every time. Haven't poured a beer yet, but will do so and report back. Attached are some pics of the mess.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Holy cow. Lucky you didn't get sick. I'm guessing your beer will taste much better now too.

Comment

Holy cow. Lucky you didn't get sick. I'm guessing your beer will taste much better now too.
                    You ain't kidding!

Comment

And finally clean, and assembly
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Looking much better. I should have mentioned it - but did you make sure the two vent holes are clear also? You can see them in the second picture. Are you going to tackle the coupler?
                        When I pump the cleaner into the lines through the shank I throw the faucet into the bucket the cleaner is going into and let it soak. Disassemble and brush, and back in business.

Comment

Looking much better. I should have mentioned it - but did you make sure the two vent holes are clear also? You can see them in the second picture. Are you going to tackle the coupler?
                          When I pump the cleaner into the lines through the shank I throw the faucet into the bucket the cleaner is going into and let it soak. Disassemble and brush, and back in business.
                          Which vent holes are your referring to? On which part?

I always clean the coupler every time. I've just never removed the plastic piece and the ball for fear of breaking it. I'll try it when this keg runs out.

Comment

In the picture where you are holding the faucet and taking the picture down the bore, look inside the bore at the bottom - there are 2 vent holes.

Comment

In the picture where you are holding the faucet and taking the picture down the bore, look inside the bore at the bottom - there are 2 vent holes.
                              How would I reach those? They dont come through to the outside. They only thing they got was a scrubbing with a brush I suppose

Comment

Working...
                              X