Sorted out the Guinness Tap handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorted out the Guinness Tap handle

Ok, so I did some research online while I was setting up my keeper and I couldn't find a good solution to the issue of Guinness tap handle not fitting nitro faucets. I managed to sort it out so I thought I would post the solution to save others some time.

First, the problem. If you have tried to connect a Guinness handle to a stout faucet you have probably already realized the issue. It doesn't fit. Stout faucets sold in America, and most other places too it seems, have a 3/8" shank. ( the part that sticks out of the top of the faucet that the handle attaches to) I'm not talking about a threaded shank, I'm talking about the squarish shank with a hole for a set screw/pin. A Guinness handle has a slot for a 3/16" shank. So it obviously requires a smaller shank. I saw recommendations online to grind the shank down, but I think that is an inferior solution.

The fix: I emailed Diageo (who owns Guinness) to see if there is a way to buy the stout faucet and handle straight from them to make sure they fit together. She gave me the part numbers from Micromatic. Included was the Guinness faucet and handle combo, G9501. I couldn't find it on the Micromatic website so I called to ask. All I could find was the JESF-4 stout faucet. The guy from Micromatic said they cannot sell the G9501 to a consumer, or even a bar, only to beer reps and Guinness reps. But he did say that the faucet is identical to the JESF-4 except for Guinness branding. I asked about the shank thing and he didn't know.

But while I was searching for the G9501 on Micromatic I was able to find a replacement shank (which they call a spindle), replacement bonnet, and cam pin (set screw). I ordered them, as well as some extra diaphragms in case it got torn up while I was switching it over. I took the faucet apart like I was cleaning it, but just put the new spindle, bonnet (make sure to switch the gasket over), and used the cam pin to put the tap handle (from eBay) on. Worked like a charm. It all fits perfectly and converts the faucet to one that uses a 3/16" shank.

So, hopefully that is helpful to someone wanting to use a real Guinness tap handle on their kegerator/keeper. Sorry it was so wordy. I'm an over explainer.

My distributor, only orders guinness/stout faucets from micromatic, the ones that only fit guinness handles, and the ones with the lever that sticks out of the top (...ocal craft breweries doing more and more nitro kegs) and those are all normal tap handles

Comment

Both solutions are viable. Here's a 3rd I saw once. About $20. Take the handle to your local machine shop they'll drill it larger and tap the threads for you.

Comment

I ordered the same parts to fit my handle. When it put it all together and tapped the keg, the faucet remained open and beer came out. I untapped the keg, took it all apart, reassembled and then tapped it again. Same thing happened. It wasn't until I took everything back apart again and installed all the original parts that came with the faucet, swapping the diaphragm back to the original, and reinstalled that everything started working in order. Did you have any issues like this? Did you have to shave anything down so that it didn't pull up on the plunger any? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and really want to use the authentic handle.

Suggestions please and thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
        X