Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perlick BBS60 vs Glastender BB60 - LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlick BBS60 vs Glastender BB60 - LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Okay, I promise I'm not trying to take over the forum with constant questions. But I kinda am. But my knowledge of commercial systems is non existent, and need all the help I can get, since the cash outlay is a lot more than ye olde fridge/kegerator conversion I used to do!

The plan - am currently the owner of a 6-tap t-tower with glycol blocks. Am searching for a commercial back bar cooler to convert into a kegerator, given the back bar and direct draw units all seem to be basically the same thing.

A few weeks back, I came across a 60" True TBB-3G that I thought would be perfect, and at $400 the price was right. Thing was louder than a jet engine though, and had issues so back it went (thankfully before I punched a hole in the top!) Massive thanks to Iceman for his input there, (and am sure he'll chime into this!)

Scouring the local restaurant supply places and Craigslist, I've found two alternatives.

A Glastender BB60-R1-XN-LR from a local restaurant supply place. $1,200.

or

A Perlick BBS60 on Craigslist. Guy wants $1,300.

Both are stainless units, so costing a little more than I want to pay for used, but they're shiny so fair enough.

Glastender, being from a restaurant supply place, has a warranty (30 days, but enough to diagnose any issues), and is about a 10 minute drive from here. Could probably get 'em to deliver it. Doesn't have a counter, though, so that would have to be sorted out. I did get to see it run - very quiet. Guy said it was used for wine, and set at 50 degrees, and didn't know how to get it colder than that. (Bit of googling here found the manual on how to adjust the digital temp controller)

The Perlick is a schlep, and because it's Craigslist, as soon as I get it on the truck, it's mine without recourse. That said, from the serial number it's a 2010 unit, so still comparatively young in the grand scheme of things (The True I'd gotten was from 2001!) but you never know.

Thoughts from those in the know? Is one a better bet over the other? Or are both too expensive for used units and I should keep looking? I've been considering new, but the US models like these (and Bev Air and True) are outside the budget, so been looking at things like Saba Air and Migali (aka Chinese knockoffs).

Small update... went back and looked at the Glastender, snapped a few shots. Confirmed that the thermostat would go down, and decided to grab it. Alas, left my wallet at home so was going to head back today, but went through the photos and looked at the unit info sticker:

Date of manufacture, 4-15 - so the unit is just a year and a half old, but judging by the state of the other stickers, I find that to be very suspect. Also noticed that the operating range is 60-65 degrees????

The unit was apparently used at Amy's Kitchen,, and was there on consignment.
    Save
    Save

Comment

I'm not too familiar with Glastender, only see them occasionally, so I can't tell you if it will suit your needs. If it was used for wine it may not get down to the temp you need. The temp control may not let it get cold enough depending on how that unit was configured. Here is a PDF for the BB60... http://www.glastender.com/PDF/4_03.pdf
      It looks like some configurations will handle kegs. Give it a test run & see what temp range the unit will reach. It might be a matter of changing the temp control.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks as usual, IM. I did stop by and give it a second visit, the thermostat would go all the way down to 34. From the Glastender site, there does seem to be 220v models that are specific to wine that have those digital controllers set in the ranges for red or white wines as options, but the 110v models all seem to be universal. That sticker just confuses me, specifically that "operating range - 60-65" Seems a bit odd, and spendy at $1,300 with tax.

When for the same money, this one's available on CL:

From that serial number, the unit is from 2010, which means the warranty ran out in Feb of last year - but still relatively fresh. Confirmed with the seller that the unit gets cold and cycling with a 5 degree temp differential (Set at 33, when the unit gets to 38 the compressor kicks on and gets it back down again) which seems high. Been looking for the manual, and seems the newer models have the digital controller (exactly the same one as Glastender, it seems!) so no clue if that can be adjusted or not.
        Last edited by ubermick; 12-23-2016, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Oh screw it - I'm now the proud owner of that Perlick. $1,000 - still more than I wanted to spend - but the thing is whisper quiet and was running like a champ when I went over there. And sooooo shiny. Will post pics of the final build.

Comment

Working...
          X