Replacing thermostat on SBC490

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing thermostat on SBC490

I am replacing a faulty thermostat in a Summit SBC490. I have the replacement thermostat on the way. Now I cant remember where the wires get attached. (should have taken a pic before disconnecting). The thermostat has 3 male connectors but only 2 wires come into the refrigerator.

The unit is a Summit SBC490-BI the thermostat is a Haier RF-7350-77
    Last edited by mcr122; 12-19-2016, 10:22 AM.

The 3rd wire on the T-stat is to ground the T-stat housing. Some units don't bother to ground it, it's a safety feature that is above and beyond. Just connect the 2 wires to any of the 3 terminals and see if it turns on. If not try a different terminal till it does. It won't hurt anything switching connections till you find it. On some T-stat's the 2 you need are close together and the 3rd ground off by it's self but that's not the case for all of them. You'll find it in 3 tries. Assign 1 to the terminal on the Left, 2 to the middle one and 3 to the Right. Connect 1&2, then 1&3, then 2&3. One of those will cause the T-stat to work.

Comment

thanks. Your post should get me there. I had a new thermostat and hooked it up. The unit ran,but even at the lowest setting, and running over night, it never seemed to shut off. Could this have anything to do with the way i had the wires configured? The i started fiddling with the adjustment screws and backed the recessed one out too much and fouled it up. Ordered a new one. I will experiment with the different configurations as you suggest.

Comment

Yes tweaking the screws aggressively summons the Grim Reaper of T-stat death. Never turn it more than a 1/4 turn at a time but a 1/8th or 1/16th is smart money. But you should never really have to touch the screws on a good T-stat. If it ran non-stop all night and didn't cut out you have a bigger issue than a T-stat less you messed with the screws before that.

Comment

OK. so.... second brand new thermostat replaced. As stated before, with bad thermostat unit would not run.. no brainer. With new thermostat ran constantly without stopping. tried tweaking t-stat and broke it. ordered new one. Replaced again, and once again runs without stopping. In a 24 hour period the temp inside read 8 degrees. So.. as pvs6 states it appears as if i have a bigger problem than just the faulty thermostat. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

Planning on manually turning on and off over the holidays just to keep beer cold. After the holidays i must get to the bottom of this. (summit sbc490-BI)

BTW: BEER IS FROZEN
          Last edited by mcr122; 12-23-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Get an external temperature controller and that will solve the issue with the condition you have with constantly running.
            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

thanks for any advice, however, please tell me about an external temp controller. No idea what that is or how to install. I am handy and willing to try. Any links/ video or starting point to learn about what that is or how to install.

thank you thank you thank you

Comment

It basically takes over control of the cycling of the unit. With yours running constantly, it can work. It uses its own probe and when it calls for cooling it turns the unit on, when it is at temp it cuts it off. Here is an example

What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by mcr122 View Post
                  OK. so.... second brand new thermostat replaced. As stated before, with bad thermostat unit would not run.. no brainer. With new thermostat ran constantly without stopping. tried tweaking t-stat and broke it. ordered new one. Replaced again, and once again runs without stopping. In a 24 hour period the temp inside read 8 degrees. So.. as pvs6 states it appears as if i have a bigger problem than just the faulty thermostat. Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

Planning on manually turning on and off over the holidays just to keep beer cold. After the holidays i must get to the bottom of this. (summit sbc490-BI)

BTW: BEER IS FROZEN
                  Wondering if you ever found the issue? I have the exact same issue and oddly enough my issue popped up the same time yours did. My issue started as it would run 24/7 and freeze the keg and a cup of water. Ordered a new one and it does the same thing. Talked with Summit, they say it must be a wiring issue and to talk to appliance repair. Appliance repair says it is 100% the thermostat. Just wondering if you tried adjusting the screws on the new thermostat or are going to the external thermostat route?

Found this thread that explains the adjustment... http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...t-stop-running

Comment

Working...
                  X