No announcement yet.

Outdoor built in Summit Kegarator Thermostat Issue and Temp Control Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor built in Summit Kegarator Thermostat Issue and Temp Control Question

Ive done quite a bit of searching but havent found the exact issue to my problem. I have a Summit SBC-500 kegorator that is installed outside in a covered patio. It has been running great for 2.5 years, then recently it started freezing my kegs. I backed off the temperature but even at the lowest (highest temp) setting it freezes the keg. I called Summit and they suspect the thermostat has gone bad. Easy fix, but here is where my question comes in: Would it be smarter to just switch to a digital Temp controller to have more control that I have seen so many of you do? If yes, would I still need to replace the internal thermostat that is broken, or just plug in the new controller since the Summit is technically no longer controlling temperature anyway.

Second part of this is the kegorator is installed in a built in brick grill island and can get we occasionally. The Johnson A421AEJ-02C would work because it is water tight, but there is really no way to install something like the this that will look appealing because of the large power cord (see picture of setup). Is there any type of unit that could be installed inside the kegorator itself? Obviously this eliminates the ability to control externally, but does offer better temperature control. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

If everything worked well before I'd think I would go with a replacement stat from Summit.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I would replace the thermostat also. A temperature controller might work fine IF the kegerator continues to run all the time and get too cold, as it is doing now, but if the thermostat is shot, I wouldn't rely on it to continue to work as you want it to.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Hey guys - Bought a new thermostat from Summit and am running into the same issue. I talked to Summit and they say a appliance repair person needs to take a look because it may be a wiring issue... but the appliance repair guy says it is 100% the thermostat. Anyone have any input? Of course Summit wont send a replacement thermostat and wants another $100. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X