Kegerator newbie! SudsBuddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator newbie! SudsBuddy

So...just bought a used SudsBuddy kegerator, and not even sure if it works yet. Given that the company appears to be out of business....and I can't find any manuals or info online...I figure the first step is to replace/clean the machine. So couple questions:
    1. is a 3/16 ID beer hose standard? I'm not sure what the one on the sudsbuddy is, and I don't have it with me...but I figure if its pretty standard, I'll buy that and see if it works.
    2. It appears that the CO2 canister still has gas in it...I know it hasn't been used in over 2 years...should I replace it, or will it be okay?

Thanks, and wish me luck!

The first step is to plug it in and see if it cools. If it doesn't no need to go any further.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

djc, thanks for the reply!

The seller promised that it does....but either way, it is not a compressor, it is a TEC unit so if it doesn't, I can but a new unit relatively cheap. I get the whole...check for the obvious first approach, but was really more interested in the tube size and shelf life of the CO2. I figure, the tube won't cost but a few dollars. Then tonight I will fire it up and see if the unit actually works....if it does, then I will see if I need to replace the CO2 and start actually cleaning the taps and such.

Comment

3/16" is the right size. Get 10', and it needs to be beverage line, not Home Depot generic stuff. The CO2 will be fine. Put a 5 gallon bucket of water in it and see if it can get to 38.

Comment

Thanks again...but why the 10' the current tube is probably only 4' feet in length. I like the bucket idea....someone else said to get a cheap keg of junk...but I'd rather test it out on the water....

Comment

Read the posts here about balancing, which is the next step. Any thread with the word "foam" in the title will do. Longer lines are used to reduce the speed of the flow which can help combat foam. At less than a buck a foot it is a pretty easy investment and if by chance you want to speed up the flow you can cut it back. Very hard to add length to a 4' line.

Comment

TEC units are seldom used in in kegeraters. They have a hard time getting down to the 30-40F temp range needed and if they can the energy consumed is so excessive compared to gas evaporation that over long periods the cost of operation not worth it. In refrigeration applications, thermoelectric junctions have about 1/4th the efficiency compared to conventional means. So be sure to get an accurate temp reading on the 5 gallons of water and if it does't reach at least 35F think hard before sinking money into this unit. The Co. went out of business because of small sales demand. I don't believe there are currently any TEC kegeraters in production due to lack of demand and high operating cost.

Comment

Working...
              X