First time untapping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time untapping...

Forgive me, as I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but after 30 minutes of google searches, I'll just ask.

Just finished off my first 2 kegs today. Decided to untap. Everything I looked at says to shut off the gas (I have a secondary 3 way regulator) and simply uncouple by pulling handle out, up and twisting counter-clockwise off. I did just that.

A few seconds after being disconnected, the 1/2 ounce-ish amount of beer that was in the beer line started moving backward and out of the "coupler?"

1. What is happening there, and why?

2. Is it normal?

3. Any chance I could've gotten beer in my air lines? (I know that would not be good and I can't see in them because they are dark blue...)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There are normally two check valves on a coupler, one on the beer line in the probe of the coupler (the part that moves up and down with the handle) and one on the CO2 line - a duckbill on the gas line where it attaches to the coupler. As long as you have a duckbill installed you are fine. Sounds like you may not have the check valve in the coupler, which isn't too important. Many people take them out anyway, and all they do is stop the back flow of beer when uncoupled.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Some low profile couplers don't even have a beer back flow check valve.

Comment

Click on the "replacement parts" tab on this. Item 2 is your check ball (if you even have one). It is likely missing or not part of your coupler. It isn't really necessary.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
        X