Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me BM23, got some issues

Hello,

First post, but not new to kegerators.... Have made several over the years from old refrigerators. Go through a few kegs a year, etc... so I get how that works mostly... Found on CL a BM23, old one, thinking at least 20 years R12. Guy said needed to be cleaned up and it will work fine... I buy it, get it home and I plug it up and ck a few hours later, it is getting cold, but no air is blowing from evaporator. A little further investigation reveals that there is NO EVAP FAN! WTF.... so I text the guy and ask if he had it etc... he has no clue what I am talking about...Says he just plugged it in and used it for parties etc... but, not only is there no fan, but the thermostat/tempt controler, is not hooked up either. the hot wire and a white or beige wire are hooked together with something that I found to be non conductive I am thinking these two go to the temp control. the other two wires I think go to the fan are just sitting there, connected to nothing.... bare... some luck folks here....
    no clue how it will work,w/o a fan at least that is what I am thinking. I rig up a little computer fan and put it in there, and I think I wire every thing up correctly or at least the way it was, hot wire to the temp control and white/beige wire to the other connection on temp control... two other naked female connectors I think go to the fan.... so I hook them to the little fan I have and put it in front of the evaporator coils.... plug it in, and it trips the breaker... so now I am stumped... not sure how the other guy (the guy I bought it from of the guy he bought it from) had it wired... regardless, I know it was not safe... amazed no one got electrocuted.. also he confirmed this thing never shut off... UGG... did I waste my money? (130) The guts are new, new regulator, cylinder, tavern head hoses etc... so that is worth the price I paid I think.. but I really want this thing to work... So I am asking the wise folks here for some insight... I have found places for parts... parts town, amazon etc... but I need a wiring diagram so I can at least test this thing out before I spend good money after what could be bad. I took out the evap cover and it is all rusted, see I can buy that too....And a fan as well. I am now thinking I may have the damn fan wires hooked to the temp control... but that must be bad if it was un hooked... or maybe it just popped off when I took the evap cover off?

Help please.... and thanks

Welcome to the forum...

If memory serves, the black & white 'round' wires are for the temp control & the wires that look more like a lamp cord will be for the fan - I could be thinking of a True unit though. Here is a PDF with the schematic, it should help... http://www.beverage-air.com/images/b...B%20manual.pdf

Make sure you pick up a fan mounting bracket as well if yours is missing, not to mention the proper fan blade.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thank you ICEMAN for the warm welcome and the schematic. I have been reading here a few days, you seem to be the go to guy! I am honored you replied to me! Love that KILLER KEGERATOR!!

Looks like I got the thing wired wrong, so I will try that first. Yes I do need the fan motor, blade and the bracket. I have seen the motor, and blade separately, but not the bracket by it self...was going to just make a bracket, didnt look all that hard.... Ill try and look for one by itself... have seen the whole assembly for big bucks, almost $150.... see one on ebay for about 59 plus shipping.. Looks like I can find them So I will keep looking for best deal So what would be the proper fan blade? Want to get that right for sure.

Hoping the temp control is good still. Say, something I noticed when taking the capillary tube connected to the temperature control out of the piece of tubing it stays in in the evaporator, that tubing, in the middle of the evaporator, is split in several places. Looks like it was full of water and burst, like a copper pipe does when it freezes. I bet that happen from being on all the time and got condensation and froze? Or is it supposed to be like that... wont hurt will it? Going to ck on it now and try to rewire it.

Comment

Well after a little early morning tinkering and rewiring it fired up! The condenser was working the first time I plugged it in, but noticed it was not now. So I shut it down and I could feel how brittle the large lamp style cord was and figured I just needed a new wire... upon removal of the fan motor... I found a little visitor, that never left, all dried up behind the motor... and the tell tale chew marks on the wire... seems he found the wire was live! The wire was broken off right at the motor... and not enough room to solder .... and the other wire is just as bad and green.... so I took the thing apart and like Tim Allen used to say, "I rewired it!". Not sure how long that will last but it will at least get me to a point where I know if the thing is worth getting new parts for. Gotta put it all back together, more or less and plug it in and ck the temp... Ill keep ya posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Schaeff58 View Post
          Thank you ICEMAN for the warm welcome and the schematic. I have been reading here a few days, you seem to be the go to guy! I am honored you replied to me! Love that KILLER KEGERATOR!!

Looks like I got the thing wired wrong, so I will try that first. Yes I do need the fan motor, blade and the bracket. I have seen the motor, and blade separately, but not the bracket by it self...was going to just make a bracket, didnt look all that hard.... Ill try and look for one by itself... have seen the whole assembly for big bucks, almost $150.... see one on ebay for about 59 plus shipping.. Looks like I can find them So I will keep looking for best deal So what would be the proper fan blade? Want to get that right for sure.
          If you get the motor & blade from the same place they should match. What you're looking for is to get the rotation right. You want the motor & blade to pull the air in through the fan guard, over the motor & back through the evaporator.

Originally posted by Schaeff58
          Hoping the temp control is good still. Say, something I noticed when taking the capillary tube connected to the temperature control out of the piece of tubing it stays in in the evaporator, that tubing, in the middle of the evaporator, is split in several places. Looks like it was full of water and burst, like a copper pipe does when it freezes. I bet that happen from being on all the time and got condensation and froze? Or is it supposed to be like that... wont hurt will it? Going to ck on it now and try to rewire it.
          All you are looking for is good contact between the temp control cap tube & the evaporator. It won't hurt a thing with that small tube being split.

As to your problems with the old wiring... Such are the joys of owning a 20+ year old unit. Keep at it, you'll get it.

THE ICEMAN
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks ICEMAN, I understand what you are saying, and will be sure to get them from the same place. Got it all back together and running! Not ready for a keg yet, just testing.... Proof in the photo of the spinning fan. Man those are little wires in that motor. But that thing is heavy duty. They dont make them like that anymore... no wonder the thing is still around after 20 some years. On the one end is the silver cap. When it is removed there is some felt like stuff, is that for absorbing oil? Of just padding? I did not oil anything, but noticed there is a small hole on top for oil? Do ya have to oil these? does not seem to line up with a bearing....

The grommet was a pain, it was hard as a rock and all brittle, had to just smash it up with a screw driver and blow it out... used some ultra grey to seal off the place where the wires enter, and some high temp wires from another freezer I pitched... wish I would have saved the evap fan from that, might have worked. Checked after a few minutes and the evaporator was starting to frost up and felt cold... a good sign!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by Schaeff58; 09-17-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Here is the culprit that did the chewing damage..... fixed now.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Whoa! You really jumped into it. Those motors are generally just throw-aways. I'd say your unit is quite a bit older than 20 years, you have one with the woodgrain finish - that goes back a ways. Check this thread to see if you can determine the age... http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...te-code-or-age
                The data plate on yours is going to be metal rather than a sticker shown in the thread but it should be similar.

THE ICEMAN
                -Dave Barry-
                -Martin Luther-

Comment

ICEMAN, I saw how much those little condenser motors were and I thought what the heck... if it works, I saved a hundred bucks, if not, well it was bad anyway... I am not sure how long it will work... the wire was pretty brittle in there and I was careful... I soldered the new high temp wire to the small field leads, and I put a small amount shrink wrap on the ends... did not short out when I tested it so if the ultra grey does its job, may last a while! I straighten up the fan blade some too. Wish the cover was there.... I may make one, saw you could buy one... but its like 75 bucks https://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Air-...m23+back+cover

Ok that might be good to know the actual age. But do I use a compressor number? There is really no other number, except I think there is one on the door handle... very hard to read, sorta ate away....Is that the ss #? Sorry for all the questions....
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

So the compressor number is AE160A1-117, second line T H1981B 857803 AS3417A So if I understand this correctly, I am looking at the H1981B part and that would Mean, April 19, 1981. So this guy is like 35 years old... I could have been using this in college! LOL... well I hope it works... will be nice to keep it going... Going to check the temp right now... WELL!!! the compressor was off, and the temp was right at 40 on the bottom floor of the unit.... Looks like the temperature control is working. I turned it to a colder setting and the compressor kicked back on and I will ck it again in a while... This is looking promising!

Comment

Yep, you have a 35 year old unit. The compressor model number is the AE3417A.
                      Shop around for that motor, they should cost somewhere around $40 - $50 bucks. You would need a 9watt CW rotation 115v. You really don't need that back cover unless you are afraid little fingers might get into the fan. Sounds like you're on the way, good luck.

THE ICEMAN
                      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 09-17-2016, 08:56 AM.
                      -Dave Barry-
                      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Hey, yea, 35 years old.... wonder how many like that are still going? I have not seen the condenser motor for less than about 85 bucks... I found the evap fan motor for about 35 and another 15 or so for the blades...the bracket I think I can get for 15 or something... still looking for the whole thing around 50 or sixty. Oh SO I can run with out the cover? That is good to know.... No little kids around anymore, so thats not an issue... was thinking I needed it for air flow... I may just rig something over the fan blades as they were very beat up from what ever over the years, but I think I got it straight now.... This thing is very quiet!

Just checked the temp...I know its not been very long, but it was down around 34 or so... Damn nice I'd say! I think I have a winner! Just gonna get the rest of the parts, and get me a keg of Yuengling Oktoberfest!

ICEMAN, I cannot thank you enough for the replys and the suggestions and the support! This is a great place for help and conversation and to interact with great folks like you!! Have a great weekend! I am sure I will be back to this thread as I get more done to this my latest project!

Comment

Originally posted by Schaeff58 View Post
                          I have not seen the condenser motor for less than about 85 bucks...
                          Okay, I lied... They're about $26 bucks... https://www.amazon.com/Mars-15411-Cl...4531YG272SJ5ZE

THE ICEMAN
                          -Dave Barry-
                          -Martin Luther-

Comment

WHOA ICEMAN!! that is a deal, thanks for the link, you are good! How about the evap fan, motor, blade and bracket. I found this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beverage-Air.../371058859761? but not sure it will fit. The model number it lists is the the 501-138b, thought it had to be 501-137b. I sent an email asking but no reply yet... and... if you can find a deal like that on amazon, I am in... have only found the fan and blade for like 56 bucks, no bracket ...

Comment

Here is the same one you found... Amazon strikes again... https://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Air-...rds=32C14S006A

THE ICEMAN
                              -Dave Barry-
                              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                              X