Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper pipe vs PVC pipe in insulated tower w/ cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper pipe vs PVC pipe in insulated tower w/ cooler?

I bought a tower cooler fan for my kegerator. The manufacturer (Edgestar) added cheap foam insulation in the tower that doesn't fit very well so it still condensates profusely. I'm replacing the insulation with a new sleeve that hopefully insulates it better.

I came up with the idea of adding a pipe (capped at the top) inside the insulation (1.25", 1.5", or 2" depending on what fits best) to trap the cold air so it won't be dispersed in the foam insulation. I'm going to drill a hole for the shank/beer line up by the faucet.

I can't decide if it would be preferable to use copper pipe, which itself could keep the tower/lines cold or PVC, that has less thermal conductivity and might not waste any cold temperatures transferring it the outside of the pipe.

I know I'm over thinking this and it probably doesn't make the slightest difference anyway, but was wondering if someone else had any input? FWIW, I originally tried the beerline through a 1/2" copper pipe hanging down into the kegerator to keep the lines cool and it did not work well for me.

Thanks

P.s. copper pipe cost isn't an issue, I have plenty of it lying around from work.

Yes, over thinking. Run whatever up to the shanks, open tube is fine. You need to be careful to allow enough room for return air. I ran copper since it conducts well and it can add some chill to the lines ahead of the rerun air doing to same. The tower sweating means it's working and short of a Franken set up with insulation on the outside you won't be able to stop that.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to insulate the outside of the tower. As for the return air, right now the cooler hose ends 3" below of the top of the tower, I figured the air would hit the top and deflect down past the hose. I think there is enough space (not taken up by the beer line and cooler hose) for air to push back into the fridge.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
      X